The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am new to the forum, and found it by accident actually via google! I am a T1 diabetic who never in a million years thought I would be capable of giving myself a pile of needles every day, especially since my husband is severely blenophobic (ie, has an extreme fear of needles). My big fear is that my children may one day develop diabetes. I'm glad to have found this forum, as it looks like a great place to feel less alone in the battle with diabetes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi & welcome, haven't been a member for long myself. But everyone here on the forum is real friendly & helpful.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi, and welcome! There are several type 1 diabetics here, so ask any questions you want. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy. We can have long, healthy lives if we take good care of ourselves.

Richard

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hi there. I am new to the forum, and found it by accident actually via google! I am a T1 diabetic who never in a million years thought I would be capable of giving myself a pile of needles every day, especially since my husband is severely blenophobic (ie, has an extreme fear of needles). My big fear is that my children may one day develop diabetes. I'm glad to have found this forum, as it looks like a great place to feel less alone in the battle with diabetes!
Hi and Welcome to the site. This really is a good place to get and also exchange information with others.
Let us know how you are doing and we truly look forward to reading your posts:D.

Gene...

G

·
Welcome Nyxeee :) I'm type 2 on insulin. I'm sure you will find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I can certainly relate to your concern for your children, but all we can do is hope one day we'll wake up and the cure will be there. There is some encouraging research currently being done.

We're glad you decided to join us. :welcome:

·
Registered
37 Posts
G'Day from a fellow QLDer

Welcome.... come in... put the kettle on and grab a cuppa. (Sorry no scones kid's raided them!!) This is a fantastic place and everone is friendly and has lots of advice, tips etc. Which part of the state are you from??? Gotta run as have a new mare come in today and she is fretting a tad:)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I did a lot of research on the genetic transmission of type 1 diabetes before I wrote my book. If a type 1 mother has a child before she is 25 years old then there is a 4% risk that her child will become type 1. If she has a child when she is 25 or older there is only a 1% risk that her child will become type 1.

I have been type 1 for 65 years and am very healthy. My sons are in their 40s and they and my two grandchildren do not have type 1.

Here is the link with more information:

http://www.isletsofhope.com/diabetes/information/genes_diagnosis_transmission_1.html#gttype1

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
741 Posts
hi and welcome nyx...*waves from the west*

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome nyxeee welcome to the growing number of diabetics world wide. Read an article the other day on how diabetics are on a significant increase world wide. Best of luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts