The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started on 2,000 mg metformin and had great results but the gastric side effects were troubling enough that I switched to metformin ER. That helped with the gastro-intestinal, resolved it enough that I can live with it. The up side: zero risk of constipation.

My numbers have been about 10 points higher on the ER - fastings in the 90's/low100's vs 80's/90's - and daytime readings from high 90's-115 vs mostly keeping them <100. Dr. Bernstein recommends using the brand vs generic, but insurance won't pay and I can't afford.

So - I'm stuck w/ varying generic brands and the most prevalent seem to be Teva and Sun Pharmaceuticals. CVS gave me Teva last month in NC, but now in CA they refilled with generic from Sun Pharmaceuticals.

Jenny talked about generics on her blog Diabetes Update: Differing Brands of Generic Metformin Behave Differently and it got me a little concerned about starting my current refill. Am not in the mood for more issues or less efficacy.

Any of you have issues with differing generic brands/mfgs? Often the drug company/brand is on the label somewhere.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have to pay 100% of all my Rx's because of high deductible, too. So I always get the generic metformin. My pharmacy changes it all the time. The name of the manufacturer isn't even on the label most of the times. I have to look it up using the code on on the pills. I have had a time or two over the last 4 years when I got a brand and I had terrible control. So it does matter. I just wish I could afford the Brand name.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to look it up using the code on on the pills. I have had a time or two over the last 4 years when I got a brand and I had terrible control.
Do you remember what the brands were that were good or bad for you?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The best one was the one from Amneal Pharmaceuticals . It had a IP 176 imprinted on the pill and they were round. I'll have to check which ones I have now. They are shaped different so I'm sure they are a different company. My bgs have been a little higher but my bgs tend to run higher in the summer so I don't know if it is from the meds.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Moon & Jwags thanks for this thread, I have some non-internet friends that use Metformin and will pass this along!

At least one of them buys from WalMart, I believe the ER version, not sure of dose :gossip:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think some Pharmacies will special order a certain manufacturer of Metformin but I am not sure they will give you the cheap price. Our pharmacy gives 5 diabetes drugs out for Free. I am sure they can do this because they buy it in bulk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts