The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:
This October 1st 2011 I will be eligible for Medicare. Because I'm self employed I now carry my own health insurance through Independent Health to the tune of $ 616 a month plus another $ 225 a month in pharmacy and doctor's copays. ( It's been killing me financially because I am on SSI Disability ).
Needless to say I am looking forward to Medicare because I will be eligible for a greatly reduced monthly premium. One of the problems I am going to encounter with the new plan I am concidering using from Independent Health (for people on Medicare) is that two of the drugs I am currently taking are only available at the "retail" rate. ( about $140 each).
Although neither of these drugs are available as generics in the US they are available through some online Canadian pharmacies.
Has anyone had any dealings with Canadian or any other online pharmacies ? I could sure use some advice here.
Many thanks...
Gregg

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
We are only 61 and self employed, too. We pay almost $1100 a month for our health insurance with a $6000 deductile. I am counting the days until I become eligible for Medicare, too. As far as what is covered you need to check into the Drug Plan Part of Medicare, I think it is Medicare Part D. There are tons of plans and you need to find the plan that covers your drugs. As far as Canadian pharmacies with deal with an online pharmacy out of British Columbia. It is called Northwest Pharmacy. My husband buys his Actos from them. We save about 60% over US pharmacies. We fax them the prescription each year and pay online with credit card. Most times we have the Rx within 10 days to 2 weeks. They send you a 3 month suppy and remind you way ahead of time to reorder. We only had trouble once and that was over Christmas time and I think our order got caught up in the hustle of Christmas mail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
generic drugs - many thanks for the information

Thank you for the info on a good place to buy generic drugs. It's crazy what health insurance costs these days. At present I get my health insurance through a large broker who handles self emplopyed and small businesse insurance. They offer three or four different companies with a multitude of plans. You may want to check them out. Contact: United States Federation of Small Business on the internet. They will need a copy of your schedule C to prove you are a business. I get a great policy with Independent Health through them with no up front deductible for $600 bucks a month.Very reasonable copays at the pharmacy. (My copay on 30 day supply of Actos is $25; 30 day supply of25/75 humalog insulin $25 also. )

thanks again
Gregg

·
Registered
89 Posts
While I have been fortunate enough to have insurance coverage, mine presently is COBRA, that will end about 1 year before I'm eligible for Medicare. I know in my case the cost of some medications would be prohibitive to buy in the US.
In researching the Canadian pharmacies, Northwest Pharmacy seems to be well thought of, as JWAGS mentioned in her post. From my perspective hearing from those needing meds carries more weight than fancy ads - Thanks!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
We did join a huge trade group in Cleveland called COSE. Their cheapest plan for a high deductible was $1500 per month. My husband and I are both diabetic and we still have one child left on our plan. Each year they raise our premium by about 20%. Medicare can't come soon enough. Thank heavens for Canadian Pharmacies. I'll tell you, with such high co-pays and deductibles we make sure we are very healthy and manage our diabetes with HbA1c's in the 5's. We cannot afford the alternative.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I use a pharmacy called AllDayChemist.com in India and am most pleased with them. I need and use a couple of very expensive drugs called Spiriva and Advair for my asthma/COPD and I can buy a year's worth for the retail cost of one month's at a local pharmacy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts