Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Gestational diabetes

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cyn 
#1 ·
Hi I'm new to this , I'm 28 weeks pregnant and have gestational diabetes I'm wondering how can u get my fasting blood sugar levels to go below 5.0 mmol as I've been advised they need to be at this rate ideally before I eat j don't have a problem with them getting too high typically after I eat any ideas ?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum Cyn. It is really good to have you here. The easiest, fastest and most effecient way to get your blood sugar under control is to cut out as many carbs as possible from your diet. Since you are gestastional diabetic, I don't know if there is a recommended level of carbs to eat but I would get a meter and eat to that. If anything spikes your blood sugar, get rid of it. There are members on this forum that eat less than 50 grams of carbs per day. This would be equivalent to less than 3 slices of bread.
The types of foods that contain carbs are bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, corn, sweets, milk, yogurt, fruit, ect. Diabetics can generally enjoy as much vegetables and meat as they want.
I'm hoping we might have some others on here that are more experienced with gestantional diabetes but in the meantime it is important to get your blood sugar under control. Living with diabetes isn't as hard as it sounds and if you are like most women, in a few months you won't need to worry about it anymore.
GOOD LUCK!!

G
#4 · (Edited)
welcome Cyn :) congrats. I'm sure your first priority is safety of your developing bub. I've never had kids so can't give you advice on that one.... I'm type 2 diabetic on insulin. I have a couple of my staff at work though who have had gestational diabetes... one in particular had to inject insulin to help control her BGLs, but then she was diagnosed with type 2 after that and has since had bub No. 2 with no hassles. I have a staff member at the moment who is due to have bub No 2 in April and she also has g/diabetes and struggling to keep numbers down, she had same problem with bub No. 1. Because you're eating for you & bub it's probably important to see a dietitian for advice on what ratio of carbs you need (and your endo). From what I've heard I believe the major concern for bub is that they don't get too big... which is what can happen apparently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.