The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 22 y.o. looking to get ready for fire academy in September. I have a high A1C (working on it) and I've been going to the gym since early February working on cardio and weight training. I just have a few questions if anybody knows...
Does high/low BS negatively effect weight training?
Why does my BS spike after tough workouts?
Is the Paleo diet right for me?
Any tips from other firefighters who went through academy?
Any particular supplements that I would benefit from?
Thanks, I know my questions are vague but any help I could get would be much appreciated. -Julian

·
Banned
133 Posts
Im 22 y.o. looking to get ready for fire academy in September. I have a high A1C (working on it) and I've been going to the gym since early February working on cardio and weight training. I just have a few questions if anybody knows...
Does high/low BS negatively effect weight training?
Why does my BS spike after tough workouts?
Is the Paleo diet right for me?
Any tips from other firefighters who went through academy?
Any particular supplements that I would benefit from?
Thanks, I know my questions are vague but any help I could get would be much appreciated. -Julian
congrats on not letting diabetes stand in your way!
high/low bs does negatively effect training. Too high = too much glucose in the blood, not enough insulin to shuttle the 'energy' into your muscles. Result = fatigue. Lows are the opposite, too much insulin, not enough glucose in the blood to get to muscles. Worse fatigue. Often in sports some people will purposefully spike their sugars a little bit to offset the lows that come on (for them). Like yourself i get a spike lifting weights, but only minor and it always comes back down.
BS often spikes after a workout because your muscles release glycogen for energy. This is common and as long as your not spiking off the charts dont stress about it too much :)
RE: paleo diet: If you are active, i mean very active, i dont agree with it ONLY because carbs are a better and more effective energy source. Your a type 1 so its important you get your insulin:carb ratio down. Many type 2's (or even some 1's) do well on the paleo because of less insulin needed obviously (if any). From what i understand though, as an energy source (fat) vs carbs, carbs will give you more power, speed etc. Its perhaps what your after for firefighting HOWEVER you need good control too. No good stuffing yourself with carbs if you dont understand how much insulin you need in your diet etc. You will have to research the ins and outs of paleo and weigh it up against a routine of bolusing for carbs
All this above is just my opinion, im fairly new to this myself, so im sure someone else will come along and offer good advice too :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Great that you are going for your dreams. As Timmy said it is very important to be aware of your bgs before you workout. If you are way too high exercising could cause bgs to go higher and dehydrate you. So trying to get good bg control before the Fire Academy is good. I do a Paleo type diet, but I am a Type 2 diabetic. I do know some Type 1's who use it, but you may have to adjust your insulin dosing. What going Paleo will do for you is to keep your bgs more stable. Another good resource is Dr Bernstein's book on Diabetes Solutions. He is a long time Type 1 who controls his bg and HbA1c in normal levels with low carb.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Julian? How many years have you been diabetic? Granted, you've said your A1c is high right now, but have you had good control in the past? Are you pumping, by any chance?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts