The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
My old favorite comes back to me and quite easy to make.

1 cup Almond Flour
1/4 cup of ground flaxseed
1/2 cup Erythritol
1/2 cup Splenda ( I may reduce this to 1/4, they were almost to sweet)
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
I used a palmful of Ginger, some Allspice, Cinn, and Nutmeg

Mixed all of the above in my food processor until it formed a ball, then put it in the fridge to cool down a bit.

I made 3" cookies, about a dozen, smashed them down flat with my hands. They did flatten even more when baked, but I wanted thin crispy cookies. I baked them at 325 for nearly 20 minutes until they were slightly browned and no longer had a sheen on them. Waited till they cooled, they are quite fragile while warm. When cooled completely they were crisp, sweet, wonderful. Again maybe a tad to sweet and I like things sweet.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I like them crispy tooooooooooooo thank you!

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Gingersnaps remind me of my childhood. Back in the 1950's whenever we would go visit Grandma in New Jersey, she had gingersnaps. I love them with a cup of tea. I like them crispy, too.

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I made these this afternoon and altho' good, I'd like more guidance on the amt. of spice and what did I do wrong that they are still VERY fragile cold. The dough never did make a ball, but I chilled it and made cookies our of it. But, they break up when I try to lift them off the paper. Should I have kept working the dough longer in the processor?

By the way, thanks for the hint about the sweetener. I used half or less altogether and they are very sweet to my taste.

Thanks for the recipe, by the way.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
MCS said:
My old favorite comes back to me and quite easy to make.

1 cup Almond Flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup Erythritol
1/2 cup Splenda ( I may reduce this to 1/4, they were almost to sweet)
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
I used a palmful of Ginger, some Allspice, Cinn, and Nutmeg

Mixed all of the above in my food processor until it formed a ball, then put it in the fridge to cool down a bit.

I made 3" cookies, about a dozen, smashed them down flat with my hands. They did flatten even more when baked, but I wanted thin crispy cookies. I baked them at 325 for nearly 20 minutes until they were slightly browned and no longer had a sheen on them. Waited till they cooled, they are quite fragile while warm. When cooled completely they were crisp, sweet, wonderful. Again maybe a tad to sweet and I like things sweet.

*sigh* Gingers snaps! As a kid, I hated milk. The only time I liked it was with a bunch of ginger snaps to dip into the milk.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Pat - I made them also this afternoon and mine stay together okay, given it's almond meal. Sometimes w/ almond meal bars I just let them crumble (their natural instinct!) and put some berries and cream with.

Spice. I thought I used plenty of ginger (maybe 2T?) but they still weren't gingery enough. Didn't have allspice so meant to add some clove but forgot. Dunno how much nutmeg and cinnamon I used, but added salt twice and a smidge of pepper. They're fine, but I also need to tweak the spices more.

Used less than half the sugar and they're sweet enough. My taste buds surely have changed, because I could've used even less and been fine. But ginger - more ginger next time!

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry guys/girls I forgot to add the 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed. Thats whats holding them together. I do not have any of these recipes written anywhere but on the forums. Again I appologize.

I used a palm full of Ginger if that helps.

·
Registered
741 Posts
oh but if they break you could use them to make a base for CHEESECAKEeeeeeeeeee

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used cold butter that I cut up into 5-6 pieces before I put it the food processor. That could be the difference

I made these this afternoon and altho' good, I'd like more guidance on the amt. of spice and what did I do wrong that they are still VERY fragile cold. The dough never did make a ball, but I chilled it and made cookies our of it. But, they break up when I try to lift them off the paper. Should I have kept working the dough longer in the processor?

By the way, thanks for the hint about the sweetener. I used half or less altogether and they are very sweet to my taste.

Thanks for the recipe, by the way.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Maybe you could get someone to correct the recipe for our files? That way on one else will have the mess I have. Mine browned a lot and now I'm not sure of how to resurrect them.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its fixed, I didn't think that was possible. Thanks

Maybe you could get someone to correct the recipe for our files? That way on one else will have the mess I have. Mine browned a lot and now I'm not sure of how to resurrect them.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Mine browned a lot and now I'm not sure of how to resurrect them.
If you eat berries, seriously I would use one as a crumble w/ some cream to add some nice crunch.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Thanks to the magic of Shanny, it was! I wish she'd added the large amount of ginger, but then I tasted them after making the dough, so maybe others will too!

Thanks, Shanny!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thanks to the magic of Shanny, it was! I wish she'd added the large amount of ginger, but then I tasted them after making the dough, so maybe others will too!

Thanks, Shanny!
I gotta tell ya, a Marty palmful and a Shanny palmful would prob'ly be very different amounts, but I have now added an amount for the ginger. :D

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I gotta tell ya, a Marty palmful and a Shanny palmful would prob'ly be very different amounts, but I have now added an amount for the ginger. :D
Thats just to funny, I wear a size 13 ring on my left hand, right is more like 14_15, didn't think about that. How did they turn out for you.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've never used Erythritol before.....and the only place I can find it so far is on Netrition. I am not sure whether to order the powdered or the granulated. Which is better for these recipes?

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like the granular, if I need powdered I grind it up in the food processor. The powdered is good for making frostings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts