The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out and there was a young girl standing at a curb that said "Girl Scout Cookies For Sale". The first thing that popped into my mind was thin mint cookies. I love those cookies but have a hard time eating "just a few". I went to the place where they were selling cookies (I felt out of control and crazy) and looked at every kind of cookie that they had, no carb free cookies. I picked up a box of thin mints paid for them and left. Now, I have a box of cookies that will send my blood sugar soaring. I was OK without them. Why can't we control these urges?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Perhaps because unlike Girls Scouts, we are NOT PREPARED?

I say, the best defense is a good offense and the thing to do is have your low-carb sweets and baked goods at the ready, so you can tell yourself, okay I can go home and have XYZ instead!

Go look in the recipes sections -- I posted a LC tin mints recipe last week!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I was out and there was a young girl standing at a curb that said "Girl Scout Cookies For Sale". The first thing that popped into my mind was thin mint cookies. I love those cookies but have a hard time eating "just a few". I went to the place where they were selling cookies (I felt out of control and crazy) and looked at every kind of cookie that they had, no carb free cookies. I picked up a box of thin mints paid for them and left. Now, I have a box of cookies that will send my blood sugar soaring. I was OK without them. Why can't we control these urges?
You know, I bought a box of thin mints this year. What I did was to get some of those little snack sized zip lock bags and just a put a few cookies in each bag. I dont remember now how much carb they were, but it wasnt actually as much as I was afraid it was going to be. So whenever I wanted some, I just grabbed a little bag of them and it kept me to where I only ate a few at a time.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps because unlike Girls Scouts, we are NOT PREPARED?

I say, the best defense is a good offense and the thing to do is have your low-carb sweets and baked goods at the ready, so you can tell yourself, okay I can go home and have XYZ instead!

Go look in the recipes sections -- I posted a LC tin mints recipe last week!
Thanks so much for the tip! :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know, I bought a box of thin mints this year. What I did was to get some of those little snack sized zip lock bags and just a put a few cookies in each bag. I dont remember now how much carb they were, but it wasnt actually as much as I was afraid it was going to be. So whenever I wanted some, I just grabbed a little bag of them and it kept me to where I only ate a few at a time.
Thanks Pam, great idea! You know I should have never bought them.:(

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Nor should my HUSBAND ... he keeps buying them, "for the kids!" and eating them here and there. His BG is pretty good, now, but eating one (allegedly!) upped his BG 3 hr later to 105 ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I feel your pain!! There are a ton of school sports teams selling candy at the entrances to stores around here. I try to decline nicely, but one of the kids would NOT take NO for an answer, so I asked him if the price of the candy bar included dialysis. He finally let me leave.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I feel your pain!! There are a ton of school sports teams selling candy at the entrances to stores around here. I try to decline nicely, but one of the kids would NOT take NO for an answer, so I asked him if the price of the candy bar included dialysis. He finally let me leave.
That is priceless! :D Good to have you back, Eeyore!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've been keeping my box of Thin Mints at work, and taking 4 cookies (the serving size) home with me, when I want them. I haven't had any the last 3 days :eek:

Sadly, it's not willpower... it's just wanting to jet out of work quickly, and forgetting about them.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been keeping my box of Thin Mints at work, and taking 4 cookies (the serving size) home with me, when I want them. I haven't had any the last 3 days :eek:

Sadly, it's not willpower... it's just wanting to jet out of work quickly, and forgetting about them.
Hello alanthiana and welcome to the forum! I see that we are neighbors. There is a wealth of information here to read, read what interests you. If you can't find what you are looking for, do a search. I hope that you have time to visit often and take care! :welcome:

·
Registered
33 Posts
onaughmae I LOVE the ziplock bags myself, I use them for everything possible and they are PERFECT for using for snacks! Not that they last long in a household of 4 kids a dog and an always hungry husband ;)

Chrissie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts