The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone... Guys you've been given fair warning...

I am 36 years old.
I have been very sick with undiagnosed Metabolic syndrome and diabetes for the last year or more..... and during that time my periods stopped...

Since the beginning of this year I have been diagnosed and since March/April I have been following a low carb diet and exercising....and so far I've lost 21kgs (about 44lbs)

I need to update my signature but I'm only on 2000mg of sustained release metformin and coversyl for blood pressure....

This month I got my first real period in a year....and the week before my BGs were excellent mostly in the 5's...but since my period began my BGs have been 7's and 8's....and even one 9.....and I'm not doing anything different...

Still low carbing usually under 20 per day.... still exercising... up to 90mins per day....I haven't changed a thing...

Can anyone shed some light?

·
Registered
741 Posts
I am no scientist but I know (for me) hormones always play a part lol...I'm menopausal myself and I know that I can do the same thing day in and day out and my numbers change...we just cannot control all the variables...

I guess the best advice I could give you would be to do as much as you can and do not be too hard on yourself during that TOM...

You can call the diabetic clinic and ask a nurse educator...I found some of them are ok... unfortunately its the luck of the draw...but you could only get tighter control with insulin...and even then you would be adjusting during your period...

9224 2244 (RPH) as for the Diabetic Clinic and then for a Nurse Educator...

hope this helps

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have one word for you - HORMONES. Any kind of increase or decrease in hormones can play havoc with bgs. I am post menopausal and during that time my bgs were crazy, even on a low carb diet. Do you check your bgs when you exercise. I also exercise a lot everyday but exercising more than 30-45 minutes sometimes sends my bgs soaring. They usually come down within 2-3 hours but they do go up.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I can't help you, but you might be helping me. At 60 yr old I'm finally in menopause, last period <crossed fingers> several months ago. I was convinced it would never happen and my ashes still would be bleeding.

That said, I have hot flashes like crazy - sometimes every 30 minutes, and wonder what role that could be playing w/ my bs. Hmmm - maybe I should make notes on that. Sorting out all the variables is an onerous task. Too bad I'm terrible at recording things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts