The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Cold turkey me too. Without a Puff since Nov 16 2010. Glad that I am off it after having smoked for close to 30 years. In any case these "Quit Smoking" plans work best without these "gum/patch/pills".

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Quit in January - on Champix - having tried unsuccessfully using patches/cold turkey/hypnosis at various points spanning several decades. It worked for me, although I do appreciate that it is not for everyone. I had only been off the ciggies for a fortnight when dx'd with type 2. If that had come first I doubt very much whether I would have been in the right zone to quit. :)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Quit in January - on Champix - having tried unsuccessfully using patches/cold turkey/hypnosis at various points spanning several decades. It worked for me, although I do appreciate that it is not for everyone. I had only been off the ciggies for a fortnight when dx'd with type 2. If that had come first I doubt very much whether I would have been in the right zone to quit. :)
Diagnosis did put me in the right zone ... until I learned I needed to make far more radical diet changes than the ADA said I did!

So instead, within 5 days of diagnosis, I went cold-turkey on whole categories of comfort foods and changed my routine in other ways as well. Since I have zero willpower, something had to give.

Am now thinking of quitting smoking, but cold-turkey has always been disastrous -- both for me, and for anyone within a mile's radius. My last attempt resulted in a near-violent depression that refused to lift for months.

Now I'm considering e-cigs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I "quit" multiple times cold turkey... tried the patch (irritated my skin a lot, but kept on it)... failed every time.

Chantix worked for me, and I didn't have any side effects. I know one of the big ones I was worried about were the nightmares (a coworker had a ton of them while on it), but either I didn't have any or my inability to remember my dreams may have kicked in. So... YMMV on Chantix.

I'm saddened to hear of suicides while on it, though :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts