The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have been type 1 diabetic for around 7 years now, and am currently studying mechanical engineering at university and as a part of my stage 3 course, I am required to design a product for mass production (1,000,000+ units).

One of the things which has always annoyed me about being diabetic has been having to carry around gluco tabs. I either find the packet disintegrates (as with dextrose) or the packet is large and bulky and doesn't fit in my pocket very easily with all the other assorted junk which I need to fit in (as with gluco tabs)!

For my design project I wanted to design a new product which could be re-filled with tablets. I am aware of the keyring design available, but wasn't sure if there were any other products already in production?

Anyway... What I am looking is some feedback as to if people would find this product useful, or if there is already something awesome out there now? Any and all ideas and opinions are appreciated!

So far for the design specification I have considered that:
- It needs to hold 4-6 tabs
- It should be slim enough to fit comfortably in a pocket/purse
- It should be easy to open (when going hypo)
- It should be easy to re-fill
- Ideally it would fit many different shapes of tablet
- It should be robust

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Rob

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi all!

I have been type 1 diabetic for around 7 years now, and am currently studying mechanical engineering at university and as a part of my stage 3 course, I am required to design a product for mass production (1,000,000+ units).

One of the things which has always annoyed me about being diabetic has been having to carry around gluco tabs. I either find the packet disintegrates (as with dextrose) or the packet is large and bulky and doesn't fit in my pocket very easily with all the other assorted junk which I need to fit in (as with gluco tabs)!

For my design project I wanted to design a new product which could be re-filled with tablets. I am aware of the keyring design available, but wasn't sure if there were any other products already in production?

Anyway... What I am looking is some feedback as to if people would find this product useful, or if there is already something awesome out there now? Any and all ideas and opinions are appreciated!

So far for the design specification I have considered that:
- It needs to hold 4-6 tabs
- It should be slim enough to fit comfortably in a pocket/purse
- It should be easy to open (when going hypo)
- It should be easy to re-fill
- Ideally it would fit many different shapes of tablet
- It should be robust

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Rob
good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Something like a PEZ (without the cartoony head) would be GREAT! Seriously ...

and maybe hold TWO portions (like 8 tabs) and dispense 2 or 4 at a time, to cover 2 15 minute increments ... needs to be VERY easy access for fumbling and panicking mode ... and strong enough to withstand being THROWN against a wall (not unlike certain meters we know .... )

·
Registered
33 Posts
You know what i was thinking. what about sugar packets or something like the crystal light packets. You can open and pour right into your mouth and they probably take up a lot less space! Unless anyone has seen anything like that out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts