The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as a medical device it will be at least a few years (if ever) before something like this makes it to human use, but I thought the concept was interesting

Glowstick Implants May Help Diabetics Stay Healthy

Hoping to ease the lifestyle of diabetics, scientists at the Institute of Industrial Science at the University of Tokyo are currently researching a new way to monitor blood glucose levels that may help diabetics get back to their normal lives. The researchers have begun testing on glowing glucose monitors that are implanted under a thin layer of skin.

The implants are as small as 1mm in diameter and can be injected into the skin with very little pain and removed like a splinter with a simple pair of tweezers. When implanted into the skin, the monitors will become sensitive to changes in glucose levels and immediately glow when blood sugar spikes to dangerous levels. Currently, the implants have been shown to work reliably in mice for 140 days so a human version may not be too far down the line.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I must say I really can`t see the point of glowing if my BG reach dangerous high.
I prefer to check my BG as I do today by testing it several times a day. Then I avoid the BG to be dangerous high........
But glowing ears would proberly make people around us smile:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts