The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

It has not been a good few weeks for me. My general doctor has changed my meds so much that they are truly not working. My levels have been 300-600. I went to the hospital last week with levels of 490. I told them that my doctor has been changing my oral medicine. They stated I should been on insulin and change doctors. I am always tired, I urinate all the time. Have any of you been through this? All advice wellcome.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I would concur with the hospital staff's advice. Change doctors, and get put on insulin.

Did your doctor ever test for diabetes type? - GAD antibodies test. It's not uncommon for doctors to assume T2 and throw meds at the rising blood sugars, rather than test for type. No amount of diabetes medications will help someone who is a T1 (or, 1.5, or LADA).

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Brand - what are you doing diet-wise these days? I know you struggled in the past with reducing carbs ...

I echo the hosp and VeeJay, re insulin, however ... managing carbs is vital while on insulin as well. If you don't, it sets you up for big high/low swings, and you need to be aware of the carbs you eat in order to dose properly. This could be the problem you're having with your oral meds because they can't safely overcome high-carb intake. There isn't a way for us to eat a lot of carbs and have control.

This could be moot if you're moderating carbs. Am only suggesting you take a close look at what you're eating so to help any adjunct therapy work.

Very sorry you're having a tough go of it. :(

Reactions: MaJoie

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually have been eating a lot of grilled food and salads or vegetables. I eat very few fruit. I have not been perfect I would like to say. I may taste something sweet but I don't eat a full portion of sweets. I have also tried some Krystal light for drink purposes and I hate water but try to drink a glass a day. I get very thirsty. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
In your shoes then, I'd probably do the following:

- ask for the testing VeeJay mentioned
- keep a detailed log of carbs eaten (they have a way of being pretty sneaky!)
- test =a lot=: before meals, 1 hr after, 2 hrs after
- discuss insulin with my doc as a much safer alternative to oral meds

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks. No he did not test for type. A previous doctor told me I was type 2 years ago and he went with that.
My husband was treated for type 2 and finally he told the family physician that he need a referral to a particular endocrinologist. It made the family physician mad but he has complied and Ronnie was told by the endo that he is indeed type 1.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts