The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the correct spot for this question I apologize if it isn't. For the last week since diagnosis and beginning to test multiple times daily I have been shearing my wife's meter, she uses a TrueTrack. Last night I finally got my own a OneTouch flex. My question, when I tested with my new meter the first time I also tested with hers immediately after and the readings were different by 59. 93 on hers 152 on my new one. This can't be a normal difference just because they are 2 different meters and brands can it? One has to be way off. This was after having eaten less than 15 carbs all day and just returning from walking 2 miles at the gym. Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the correct spot for this question I apologize if it isn't. For the last week since diagnosis and beginning to test multiple times daily I have been shearing my wife's meter, she uses a TrueTrack. Last night I finally got my own a OneTouch flex. My question, when I tested with my new meter the first time I also tested with hers immediately after and the readings were different by 59. 93 on hers 152 on my new one. This can't be a normal difference just because they are 2 different meters and brands can it? One has to be way off. This was after having eaten less than 15 carbs all day and just returning from walking 2 miles at the gym. Any ideas on this?
I had the same issue between the Contour Next EZ Glucometer and the Contour USB Glucometer. Same manufacturer, same strips and different results. I wonder just how accurate meters are.

There was however, a discussion in another thread how readings can be inaccurate if the battery is running low on the meter. But other than that no idea.

That's not good! Many meters come with a solution that you can test that is supposed to give you a specific reading - a way of testing the accuracy of the meter. Can you do that with your meters?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know my meter I can purchase a test serum and it has a specific mode for using it. Not sure about my wif'e meter on if it can be tested in that manner or not.

·
Super Moderator
9,656 Posts
Same finger????? same blood drop????? Did you do rewash/retests with both????
There have been cases of a new meter being bad, in which case need to determine which and get back with manufacturer. Most times they will send a new meter. 93 +15% and 152-15% don't exactly overlap.

·
Super Moderator
1,882 Posts
When I see results that disparate (even on my one meter), I test again right away to find out which number is closer to accurate. Lots of things can mess up a reading -- cleanliness of the hands/lancet; quantity of the sample (my meter seems to run high if the sample is juuuuust inadequate); battery level; cold/heat; incorrect test strips (brand is not enough; sometimes they're meter-model specific); phase of the moon (j/k); etc. There are threads elsewhere on this forum on why meter readings can be so far off.

Both TrueTrack and OneTouch offer (incompatible, natch) control solutions for their meters, most likely available on-line/mail-order rather than in stores. If you test again and see the meters are that far off, I'd consider trying test strips from a different package (might be a manufacturing, storage, or age problem) and, failing that, buying and using solution. One of those meters is off. You need to know which one.

Many diabetics don't bother with solution because it's pretty expensive for what is essentially standardized sugar water :plain: and it goes "off" fairly quickly once you open the container. But I use it on my meter with almost every vial to make sure it's on the money, especially since I don't have another meter/strips with which to test.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Many diabetics don't bother with solution because it's pretty expensive
It's worth the effort to call the manufacturer and complain that you're not confident the meter is testing accurately. They may send you a test solution bottle with no charge, and may even send you a new meter. (That was my experience when I did the same.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for the information, I will replace the battery in both meters just to be sure since I have no idea how long the new one sat on the shelf, I use a small pharmacy in our grocery store, and the pharmacist said she wasn't even sure how long the meter had been in stock since she doesn't move a lot of them. From there I will try everything else I got 2 vials of test strips so can try that as well. Unfortunately I do not remember if I used the same finger or not this morning it was at 4am before I left for work lol. I know it was not the same blood drop for certain. This is all good information.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Another factor is that blood is not homogeneous, only a loose mix of all the components. So one drop of blood will most likely have a different glucose concentration than another drop.

One thing many of us have done is to take our meter to the lab when they do a draw and do a test then. When the results come back you can compare the two readings. When I've done this the readings were very close.

You could bring both meters with you and see how they line up with the lab.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts