The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my first sugar spike for a while. I had chick-fil-a for lunch..the chargrilled chicken sandwich and fries. it's on a wheat roll. two hours later, my glucose was 215? how is this so? then 30 minutes later, it went down to 175, then went shopping for about an hour or so, walked a bit and it was sooo hot, and my sugar was 63????????????? why??

·
Registered
633 Posts
That is one of those mysteries that has been unanswered for ages. I can tell you that it is normal and not just a you thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. i got so scared :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could it be the fries that I ate????

·
Registered
633 Posts
You are going to get spikes after you eat. There are ways to help eliminate them but I would say that what you experieced was pretty normal. There is not an insulin made that works fast enough to keep you from spiking some. The roll, the fries and just about everyrhing you eat will react the same way. The good part was that it came right back down once the insulin was all active and working. I for one don't think you did anything that you need to worry about. That is just life with type 1.

·
Registered
930 Posts
You can usually figure that the projected spike based on a 150 lb body will be 5 mg/dl times the number of carbs minus the total units of insulin injected plus the insulin your pancreas puts out times your carbs to insulin ratio.

Neat, but this doesn't help much when your metabolism still has some real active control like you still seem to have, but if you continue on an American diet of nutritional deficiencies like magnesium, iodine and Omega-3 EFA's (Essential Fatty Acids) deficiencies, then in a couple of years it will make a lot more sense.

ColaJim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts