The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to see if I can get any better results. The past few days have been a 'plateau' of sorts in my BG readings. Typically high 6's low 7's during the day, mid 7's in the morning. Would really rather be high 5's low 6's during the day... and ultimately would LOVE to be normal fasting BG...

Most days I have a piece of toast with peanut-butter and no-sugar-added jam for a snack somewhere... I've also eaten the occasional bit of potato, breaded something, etc... I'm wondering if that's just something I need to cut completely.

So I'm going to cut out fruits/cereals/grains for a few days to see if it makes any difference. Get my carbs from things like broccoli, spinach, carrots, cauliflower, celery, salads, etc. Curious to see how it goes.

I will miss my daily apple... but if I can lower my BG more, it's worth it...

Does anyone else go this strict?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Curious to see if I can get any better results. The past few days have been a 'plateau' of sorts in my BG readings. Typically high 6's low 7's during the day, mid 7's in the morning. Would really rather be high 5's low 6's during the day... and ultimately would LOVE to be normal fasting BG...

Most days I have a piece of toast with peanut-butter and no-sugar-added jam for a snack somewhere... I've also eaten the occasional bit of potato, breaded something, etc... I'm wondering if that's just something I need to cut completely.
I've about given up my beloved toast unless it's from sprouted bread, and I've given up breading foods with anything except the low-carb breading mix called Brandi's Breading, which I think we've already talked about - it's only one net carb per serving.
So I'm going to cut out fruits/cereals/grains for a few days to see if it makes any difference. Get my carbs from things like broccoli, spinach, carrots, cauliflower, celery, salads, etc. Curious to see how it goes.

I go that strict . . . my list of carby foods is the same as yours - all the high fiber veggies. I also include artichoke hearts & asparagus, just to offer a little more variety if you like those. The only fruit I eat is avocado, which btw, I'm having for lunch today - slices of avocado & a sprinkle of grated cheddar in a wee taco shell.
LaTiara taco shells are only 4g carb per shell, and one avocado makes two tacos. Just the right size for lunch!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When I was first dx'd my dietician said cereal was fine. But I found out pretty soon that cereals really spiked me, even the healthier ones like steele cut oats. I think many of us think we have to eat cereal for breakfast. Once I got out of that rut and realised I could eat other things like salads, hamburgers, bacon and eggs and get better numbers. Once I got my bg under control I found I could add certain carbs back in. For example I now eat sprouted bread for breakfast and not spike over 125.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
what about something w/ almost no carbs like eggs?
I would freakin' STARVE to death without eggs! I like them over easy for breakfast with bacon or sausage; I make up big plates of deviled eggs and I even eat those for breakfast. I also fry them - breaking the yolk - to use for egg sandwiches on half a thin bun & melt a half slice of cheese on 'em . . . this makes a wonderful sandwich with mayo & mustard! Since I keep hard-cooked eggs around most of the time, I can dice one with a little mayo, etc., for a quick egg salad. I love my eggs & I buy the jumbo size so one egg is sufficient for a snack or small meal.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm about ready to make a batch of SouthBeach egg muffins. My husband loves them. I store them in a ziplock bag and he grabs a couple for breakfast and nukes them.

Egg Muffins

Saute bacon or sausage or both and put in bottom of muffin tins. Saute veggies, whatever you have. I usually do chopped mushrooms, zucchini, pepper and spinach. Put a spoonfull on top of bacon. Put a teaspoon or more of shredded cheese on top. Whip up about 8 eggs with some heavy cream and whatever spice you like. I like to add chipolte and hot sauce. Pour over each muffin cup. Pop in 350 oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just tried out a new snack (for me) tonight....I've been eating pork rinds for years as a low carb snack, but they become incredible with melted butter and a cinnamon/splenda mix sprinkled over them! YUM!!!

·
Registered
583 Posts

YES!! I go really strict! People who continue to try eating what they used to eat are only fooling themselves and will most likely end up having to take more and more medication. I feel it's easier to eat healthy and exercise than to push my pancreas where it doesn't want to go. It's pretty confusing at first but once you get the hang of it, it's well worth the sacrifices. If you want safe, consistent BG levels...that's the thing to do! :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Are you serious or delirious?! LOL! I'd would never have figured that out by myself, but I'll sure take your word for it, and try it! Woohoo! :D

I just tried out a new snack (for me) tonight....I've been eating pork rinds for years as a low carb snack, but they become incredible with melted butter and a cinnamon/splenda mix sprinkled over them! YUM!!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you serious or delirious?! LOL! I'd would never have figured that out by myself, but I'll sure take your word for it, and try it! Woohoo! :D
Sounds healthy, doesn't it? :D

I bought some pork rinds today just for giggles. Haven't eaten those since I was about 12, I think...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Crushed hot & spicy pork rinds make a decent breading too, beefy . . . that's what I used before I discovered Brandi's.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
The only cereals I consume are gluten protein (in my meat analogues), and tomatoes, olives, avocados ... and I am even fairly cautious with tomatoes.

I had been eating low-carb tortillas and pitas, but even those seem to spike me right now. I seem to have a seasonal intolerance.

I am trying not to be too rule-driven, though -- I test individual foods and go by that. Being even an ovo-lacto-vegetarian is rules enough, for me. ;)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Wow...that sounds kinda disgusting and oddly intriguing.... I would never have thought of that combination!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sounds healthy, doesn't it? :D

I bought some pork rinds today just for giggles. Haven't eaten those since I was about 12, I think...
For a diabetic or anyone eating lowcarb, they ARE healthy! :) Kind of makes up for the lack of chips or pretzels when you want something salty or crunchy, but to have them crunchy and sweet and cinnamony is the BEST! :)

Shanny....I'm deliriously happy! Found them on this site (under snacks) with a lot more recipes for lowcarb!:cheer2: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think the hardest thing when doing low carb is the lack of cripsy things. For awhile I would cut up cheese and put it in microwave 1-2 minutes on parchment paper. It comes out real crispy like cheese-its. Also you can take low carb tortillas spray with pam or olive oil and cinnamon and fry in coconut oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts