The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to what I've learned on the forum I went postal last night. I was filling out an on-line health assessment with an outfit that my employer's health insurance carrier is sneaking in on us. When I saw the result of "poor" on the nutrition assessment part of it and the recommended thing to do was to eat more grains/carbs and less fats, I just had to leave them a comment. I did not mince words when I told them they did not have a clue of how wrong their recommendation was. I lambasted them for giving advise that drives us deeper into the unhealthy lifestyle this very advice began putting us in when it came out 40 years ago. It sounds good in theory, but the reality is it doesn't work in real life for the majority. Like a kid awaiting Christmas morning, I can barely wait to see if they have a representative contact me within 2 business days as is advertised on their 'contact us' page.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Change is a constant. Yet change is difficult to handle. Decades of propaganda will take time to be erased. The pharma & food industry have invested billions in the carb way of life. They will not give up easily. Already I've seen doctors advising a LC diet to patients diagonised with D. That's a great first step. Give them another 10 years or so, the HF will quietly get sneaked in.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Refer them to this and then ask them, "Are you trying to shorten my life?"

Thanks to what I've learned on the forum I went postal last night. I was filling out an on-line health assessment with an outfit that my employer's health insurance carrier is sneaking in on us. When I saw the result of "poor" on the nutrition assessment part of it and the recommended thing to do was to eat more grains/carbs and less fats, I just had to leave them a comment. I did not mince words when I told them they did not have a clue of how wrong their recommendation was. I lambasted them for giving advise that drives us deeper into the unhealthy lifestyle this very advice began putting us in when it came out 40 years ago. It sounds good in theory, but the reality is it doesn't work in real life for the majority. Like a kid awaiting Christmas morning, I can barely wait to see if they have a representative contact me within 2 business days as is advertised on their 'contact us' page.

·
Super Moderator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks smorgan. I figure this and the big fat fiasco on utube.

·
Super Moderator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks smorgan. This with the big fat fiasco on utube

Oops on the double post. I had a bad signal on my phone and I got a fail to connect with the server message that apparently was not so.

Just a thought I had - I am getting so obsessed with what I eat, I am becoming more observant of where I walk; just in case I say something before thinking and wind up with my foot in my mouth.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I get routine newletters from Anthem Blue Cross with tips on Diabetes Care. So much of it is so wrong. They will always have a few recipes with carby ingredients like white flour, oatmeal even brown sugar. I do think they are trying to shorten our lives.

Reactions: Shalynne

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Change is a constant. Yet change is difficult to handle. Decades of propaganda will take time to be erased. The pharma & food industry have invested billions in the carb way of life. They will not give up easily. Already I've seen doctors advising a LC diet to patients diagonised with D. That's a great first step. Give them another 10 years or so, the HF will quietly get sneaked in.
One detail that I think you may have missed. Or maybe not - I just noticed that you did say "pharma & food industry" - i.e singular. I agree, they get us coming and going.
It's the same crowd who get us "coming" with the food additives loaded in the already toxic pre-packaged "low fat" products. They then get us "going" with their drugs carefully tailored to "control" the blood glucose spikes created by their food products!:frown:
Sorry for the rant - personal hobby horse :rant::rant:
Rant over, John

·
Registered
41 Posts
The ADA and certain associations get big kick backs for books they have endorsed etc. If they embraced the new data that shows low carb is more effective, they would loose their cash cow. Eventually they will start to slowly incorporate more low carb diet information at a glacial rate that won't affect their cash flow.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
The ADA and certain associations get big kick backs for books they have endorsed etc. If they embraced the new data that shows low carb is more effective, they would loose their cash cow. Eventually they will start to slowly incorporate more low carb diet information at a glacial rate that won't affect their cash flow.
And here it was, me thinking it was only us Brits that thought the ADA was motivated only by the almighty dollar:).

I do think you are wrong in your final sentence. Why should they bother? Only when their cash flow is compromised by their failure to acknowledge the value of low carb will we see any movement at all!:mad: And that will happen, when???

John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mbuster...Just a thought I had - I am getting so obsessed with what I eat, I am becoming more observant of where I walk; just in case I say something before thinking and wind up with my foot in my mouth.
Would that fall into fat or carb???:whistle:

Reactions: Shanny

·
Super Moderator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Talon said:
Would that fall into fat or carb???:whistle:
With BMI of 29 I wouldn't call it high fat. Was more concerned with what I stepped in before inserting.😊

·
Super Moderator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mbuster said:
With BMI of 29 I wouldn't call it high fat. Was more concerned with what I stepped in before inserting.dde0a
You never know if the source of all the BS was grain or grass fed. LOL

·
Super Moderator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally got the call from the RedBrick Healthcare bunch for my diabetes management coaching/consultation. After the usual introduction and proof that they were really talking to me, first rattle out of the box is "What can we do for you?"

"'You don't know why you are calling me? Do yall not keep records of what specific users of your service selected? Do you not review the individual's survey to have advanced knowledge of their particular health issue?" After a very brief moment of silence, I tell her "Diabetes Management".

She started by asking a few routine questions about my diet.
*Do you feel you are eating a healthy diet -yes - OK.
*Are you eating a reduced amount of carb - yes 50g or less a day - uhm OK?
*Are you eating a low fat diet - yes only 65-70% of calories from fat, I should be at 75% - uhm OK??
*uh, are you staying away from saturated fats - no, eating saturated fats, butter , cheese, cottage cheese, and adding coconut oil to everything I can to increase total fats - uhm OK that sounds fine???
*A few more quiestions about my diet with uhm OK that sounds fine??? and finishing up with -
*How confident are you that you are eating a healthy diet - Very confident, I know several people that have tried to follow the ADA recommended diets and they were only having to take more medicine to control their BG and lipids and having limited success. They have gone to LCHF and are having great success, some even controlling everything with their diet alone, getting off of medication entirely. I have just started LCHF recently but believe this is the way to go - uhm OK??

I asked her if she was diabletic -no - and so she wouldn't be checking her blood sugars and know how bad the recommended diet was for diabetics. I didn't ask her if she was a dietician or a nutritionist or even a diabetic educator, I don't think she is, and it was better me not knowing.

Uhm, OK, sounds like you are working on trying to control your diabetes. Uh, I don't guess you want us to call back for follow up in a month do you, would you rather us wait 3 or 4? - no, call back in a month, I may need coaching.

Next month, if it happens, my first question will be requesting my caller's qualifications and requesting someone that is qualified. Then we will go from there. I couldn't unload on this one.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
mbuster, gotta love it! Give 'em hell!

·
Super Moderator
9,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The silly nits just sent me a trio of ADA/NDEP pamphlets - Fiber Facts, Choose Your Foods: Exchange Llists for Diabetes, and 4 Steps to Control Your Diabetes for Life. I think I will have to send them a thank you card tonight.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts