The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi: have type 2 since 2003. male 49yo 270 lbs. 5.11 .
metformin hcl 1000 2x per day am-pm
glimepride 4mg 2 in the am
byetta (5) 2x am before meal pm before meal
my diabetes has been treated by my family doctor since 2003. i am struggling with my diabetes! i am sure its all me.. i need to control what i eat. i am seeing a endocrinologist next week (took a month to get a appointment) he had me get blood work last week. i just got the results e mailed to me.. my A1c is 7.8 and my glucose is 237.
i am looking forward in seeing him next week but i am sure he is going to say the same as my family doctor.. i need to wise up.

G

·
Welcome to the forum, adamant.

We all need some support at times in our fight against the disease. You have taken the first big step in assuming responsibility for your current situation with regard to controlling your diabetes. You will get plenty of support from the members here as you carry on the good fight. Let us know how you go with the endocrinologist.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum, adamant.

Yeah, one thing I learned with diabetes is that for me, it's all about diet, specifically carbs. My numbers were very high at dx, but I landed here, went low-carb, and in a month was off one of my meds and my numbers had plummeted.

Making diet changes/adaptations is key - nay central - to control. The good news is, there is tremendous support here in helping with diet management, a great recipe section, and there are enough compensating formerly-guilty pleasures I now eat (healthy fats like cheese, full-fat sour cream, cream, fatty meats) that it has been easier than I could've imagined beforehand.

A tremendous bonus is losing carb cravings, at least the intensity of them. So there are rewards to look forward to on the other side.

So glad you found us, and will be interested how your endo appt goes. Honestly, if you can get a handle on the carbs, you'll get numbers that'll make you sing.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, adamant. I guess your doc has put it something less than mildly, with his "wise up!" But you can do that and we can help you. Your numbers could be a lot worse, but they're bad enough. If you're willing to take on the low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating, you'll see numbers that definitely fit Moon's description! I love eating low-carb/high-fat . . . I get the bacon, butter, cheese, sour cream - wonderful things that I love. And as Moon mentioned, the carb cravings subside once you quit eating carbs.

People don't usually realize that the bread, potatoes, rice & pasta they eat just keep calling for MORE bread, potatoes, rice & pasta! It's a horrible catch-22, and I sure wasn't aware of it when I was eating half a loaf of bread a day sometimes. Now those cravings are gone & I don't miss those high-carb foods. Milk and cereal grains are villains too, so if you aren't using a meter regularly, go get one, and start testing after you eat. Any foods that raise your bg over 140 can be deleted from your menus.

You're taking enough diabetes meds to gain good control if you will lay off the carbs. In fact, once you get your numbers down & stable, maybe you can get off the glimepiride, a sulfonylurea drug which could be damaging your pancreas by its constant pressure to produce ever increasing amounts of insulin.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I found the same thing out, Jeanne...it's all about carbs! I was tested at 6.9 about 18 months ago and it's been steady at 5.4 ever since and I love the fatty foods I can now eat...not eating bread bothers me now still, but only the really good breads (luckily I'm a snob). So Adamant, it is doable, honestly. I choose to view it as an allergy that will kill me if I eat too many carbs (and it will!). Maybe slowly drop them until you weigh what you want and don't crave them anymore. I find carbs call for more carbs, so I try to stay in the range of less than 30 per day. That so far keeps me off meds entirely...so, have faith and use this week to get your head in the game and be ready to remake yourself!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was dx'd with an HbA1c of almost 11 and bg fasting of 240. I thought I was eating healthy since I was a vegetarian. When I started to test I discovered pretty quick what foods spiked me. Many of us do something, called Eat to our Meter. It means you test 2 hours after you start eating and record every meal. Pretty soon you will see the bg patterns of what foods you need to stay away from. Since we are all different, different foods may spike us. For me the big offenders are Cereal, Breads, all flour and things made with flour, junk food, fruit and fruit juice and of course sugar. At first I was bummed but then learned how to cook low carb. I eat a great diet now, just not the standard american diet. My goal is to control my diabetes with the least medication I can. I know my pancreas is dysfunctional so I will try not to overtax it with too many carbs. I know it is hard at first but when you look at the alternative it will give you the motivation you need.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well thank you for all your posts.. i went to the Dr. app. and he said i was taking my blood sugar meds all wrong.. i need to take them at least 1/2 hr b4 meals. i was taking less then 5 min b4 a meal. also he put me on lantus b4 bed. starting with 12 units and increasing 2 units every 5 days till my morning bs are 80-140.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts