The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was diagnosed with type 2 in early September. Since then I have lost about 25 lbs. I am taking 850 mg of Medformin. Since Thanksgiving I have been eating a little more in carbs per meal due to Holiday foods. I have definetly ingested about 60-90 grams of carb at a time during a meal but the max in BG two hours later has been 118 or lower. This is good but, I sometimes wonder if I really have diabetes. I try to walk about 20-30 minutes per day. Have some of you experienced this? I'm excited but I'm definetly not abusing this success.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Congrats with your overall success. Personally I am a type 1 so this is a hard area for me to comment on were I am drawing from my understanding of diabetes rather then personal experience.

With that said I believe you are doing a great job controlling your diabetes. I think it's a combination of you exercise and meds more then anything. With most diabetes regardless of type 90% of the battle is getting them to take their meds and simply try to care for themselves. I would caution you on allowing yourself to lax your control of your lifestyle, part of why it seems like it isn't there is because of the efforts you are exerting to manage it.

Otherwise I say great job and keep up the good work. When you get it under control like you have it really should feel like it disappears.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi, Cheenchie . . . I think sometimes when we've had really good control for awhile, we get so we can tolerate a detour now & then into Carbville. If we were to completely move back over there, we'd start having high BGs again all the time, but little short visits on rare occasions seem to be allowed! :D

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Yep Shanny, I had pizza a couple of weeks ago and did a workout on my treadmill when I got home. I was still kinda high a couple of hours after my meal but later that evening I was back to normal. We just have to determine how to hadle those extra carbs and make it only an occasional thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep Shanny, I had pizza a couple of weeks ago and did a workout on my treadmill when I got home. I was still kinda high a couple of hours after my meal but later that evening I was back to normal. We just have to determine how to hadle those extra carbs and make it only an occasional thing.

This really underscores the importance of planning contingencies for the inevitable instances where we eat those carbs and sugars. I think the treadmill idea is exemplary-- not only does the physical activity have many benefits in addition to helping us metabolize the glucose, it also serves as a good disincentive from further cheating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts