The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I did a very intense workout of 1hr 10 minutes on my spin bike, of which 20 minutes of it (in total, not all at once) was standing. Pretty intense for me.

Once I was done I made a quick smoothie (protein powder, 4 strawberries, a couple raspberries, carrots, spinach, stevia) and drank it down.

Then shortly after my wife and I went to a matinee of the movie "Limitless" ... While there I ate some movie-theater popcorn, drank some diet coke, and (guilty) ate roughly a dozen peanut M&M's ...

After we got out of the movie and got home I tested my BG's expecting to be high... Typically movie theater popcorn spikes me (probably because I eat too much of it, and also probably because I drink too much diet coke with it...) but today I was good and between my wife and I we only ate 1/3 the bag. I only drank 1/2 the diet coke too. The kicker was... my BG's tested at 4.7 (85) about two hours after the popcorn, diet coke and M&M's ...

I found that rather surprising, and ate a small handful of peanuts to stave off a liver dump... I tested another hour after and was still only 5.0 (90). Another hour later (just before dinner) I was back down to 4.6 (83) ...

I just found that really weird, that something that normally spikes me wouldn't ... I can only chalk it up to the combination of eating less and the pre-movie exercise.

Was still weird. Amazingly I've had fairly decent BG's all day. The highest I've been all day is 6.3 (114) which was just now, 1hr after my evening ride, protein shake and chicken sandwich...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So continue the practice you instituted today! Eat less of it, and exercise before you eat it! :D :D :D
Yeah, I guess so ...

It's just REALLY hard to NOT eat the popcorn, LOL. And for those that suggest I just not buy it... I don't buy it, I get it free using AirMiles coupons, lol. I use Airmiles for a coupon for two tickets, two drinks and a popcorn.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I normally spike with exercise, intially. But later in the day I seem to metabolise carbs much better for 24 hours or so. That seems to be what is happening.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
its hard to help you if you dont tell us insulin doses also, or are you on the pump?
Chris? Many of our members are type 2 and non-insulin-dependent. After you've been here a little longer, you'll begin to know who's who. Both Beefy and jwags are NIDD - neither of them uses insulin at all.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its hard to help you if you dont tell us insulin doses also, or are you on the pump?
Shanny is correct, I am not insulin dependent. My only medication is Extended-Release Metfromin, 2000mg per day. 1000mg each with my breakfast and supper meals.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sounds like you found something that works well for you!

I had a similar experience. I woke up a little elevated (mid-90s fasting), had an omelet with a fair amount of carb (salsa, sour cream, and so on), and then walked about three miles over the course of several hours. I got home, was 85, and then I started feeling a little weak about an hour and a half later: 70.

Prolonged or intense exercise seems to have that effect on me. Now I just have to get motivated to do it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts