The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, had my 3 month blood work done. Good News fasting was 5.4, down .8 from last and 3.1 from diagnoses. New A1C 6.4, down .2 and 3.3 from diagnoses. Doc thinks I can come off meds and try with diet and exercise since I am on the minimum dosage of metformin. Down 55lbs now, am weighing in at a nice 220, that was my game weight when I was a hockey player and in shape.

Bad news. A1C6.4, I was hoping for less that 6. I am still getting better but hope sometimes get flushed down the toilet. But I still have hope for my 9 month.

So I guess it's not bad news, more like baby steps, I have been trying to get all this done and below 6 by my 6 month appointment.

Weird thing is, everytime I check my blood it's below 5.5 all the time. My meter checked out fine, it matched my fasting at my blood test.

Reactions: tgreen and thcri

·
Registered
432 Posts
This is just my opinion,I went off meds. when I was 5.8. An A1C of 6.4 seems a little high to me. I went to have my A1c tested every 4 months when I was dx. I think I would wait until the next trip to the doc's office before I gave up my diabetic's meds.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You might have some spikes that you are not seeing. Maybe change the times you are testing or for a week test more often per day. Congratulations on your weight loss. I did 84 and am back up by 25. Doctor told me to eat more that I was starving myself. That didn't work so not sure what is going on.

Exercise has been the best thing for me as to keeping my BS down and I have been able to eliminate all meds because of it. I ride bike and have made it a time of enjoyment as I ride with others and alone. Well how else would I do it. Anyway it has become entertainment for me. Good luck with your future tests.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I am not going to come off met, not yet anyway, I want it below 6 before I think about it. My Doc just thinks I can if I wanted to.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The HbA1c measures percentage of glycation not specific bg numbers. They have charts that roughly convert it but it is not exact. So 6.4 roughly equates to an average bg of 137 throughout the day. That being said all people blood molecules are different. We had a discussion on another site recently about the shape of your blood molecules and how long they tend to live. This may affect your HbA1c up or down. My HbA1c always comes in a little higher than my average bgs. Then I know people who have much higher fastings and pp's than me but come in lower on the HbA1c. As far as going off meds this is an individual decision. My HbA1c is 5.3 and I chose to stay on Metformin to keep it that way. Since I rarely go much below 90, I don't have to worry about lows.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is weird, I haven't been over 6.5 in months. I check randomly, 2-3 times a day. Always 2 hours after, always before and alway fasting. My average for that last month has been 5.3 to be exact. I was puzzled by my A1C. I'm not coming of my meds, I just wanted the option. For the metformin I am on there is pretty much no point of coming off. I like the weight loss too!

Reactions: jwags and Shanny

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The information sheet that came with the A1c home test kit I bought, says that 50% of an A1c test reflects your bg for the past 2 months, 25% reflects your bg for the past 3 months, and 25% reflects your bg from before that, but they didn't specify how many months before. So your A1c probably came out higher than you expected because some of your higher bgs from the past are still counted in the mix. If you continue to keep your bg down, it would be safe to assume that your next few A1c tests will be be lower than the one before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts