Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Goodbye to a loyal pal

4K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  FergusC 
#1 · (Edited)
Today we lost our twelve year old puppy. We think the combination of heat (40°c) and stress from a major thunderstorm was too much for her heart.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, I'm sorry to say it is. Judy and I will miss her. She could be a real dope at times but she was totally loyal to the two of us. If one of us went missing, Alys didn't like it and made sure the remaining one was aware of her discontent.

My problem is going to be finding a new reason to walk my five or six miles each day. I suspect the issue won't be a long term one as I'm pretty certain that there's a new dog sized hole in Judy's heart that will be filled sooner rather than later.

#4 ·
Those goofy quirks are so endearing!

It's very hard to lose a true family member of any species. My thoughts are with you and Judy.

Reactions: macksvicky
#7 ·
As much as some pets have been brought up on the forum, it is like they are part of my forum family. I have always enjoyed reading of Alys' doings and know she was very dear to you and Judy and that she will be deeply missed. I hope your walks won't be lonely for very long, but you should have plenty of good memories to fill the gap.

#8 ·
I did not realize Alys was 12 years old already - she does always look like a pup & seems to have all the puppy energy. I do realize how stressed they get during storms, and there isn't much we can do about that.

I'm so sorry she left you so soon. There will be other dogs, but never another Alys. It's hard to imagine life without a four-footed furball following us around. ((((Judy & John))))

#11 ·
Alys was a rescue dog, and I never regretted that decision. We adopted her at around 18 months, she'd been badly beaten and never allowed inside a house. She was with us for 11 years and I hope remembered little of her previous life.

She will be missed...dog sized hole in the heart is about right...and in Johns too. :(

Thank you for your condolences.

#13 ·
John,
I am so sorry for your loss. My wife and I have 3 Golden Retrievers and understand the pain that comes with a loss like this.

I have always felt, after some reflection, that our dogs never really leave us. After they pass we frequently recall how they looked, things they did, even laugh at a good memory we had with them. They are always with us.

My 11 year old female Golden is approaching this 'Rainbow Bridge'. She had a bought with cancer last year, but we caught it early and so far so good. But we know he time is short...so we enjoy her each day!

Take care

#14 ·
our dogs never really leave us.
Especially when we keep calling the new dogs the old dog's name! Gabby's been gone since Feb. of 1998 and I STILL call Fritz 'Gabby' sometimes. OWC admits he does the same thing. Good thing Fritz isn't easily offended. It's like when the kids were young - you go through all their names until you get to the kid you're actually calling for. I remember Mom doing it, and I did it too. :p

#20 ·
Deepest sympathies John & Judy.
We lasted a month after losing our chololate lab (only reason I think I was allowed to wait was so that I could dump a collie puppy on my daughter as a birthday present <G>.
That puppy grew up to be an incredibly inteligent & loyal dog (now 11 1/2 and stiff with rheumatics) and loves travelling in "Her" MoHo! She did your part of France this year!
Dont wory a "rescue dog" will soon turn up and rescue you from your lonliness!

Reactions: Kathryn Mc
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.