The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Going for my first A1C since dx tomorrow, however I looked at the script my doctor wrote and it's only for the A1C, not for the other panels for cholesterol, etc. When I asked her about getting it done, she said she doesn't think it's that important. This woman is driving me batty.

What are some of the other tests you guys get done at the same time with your A1C? She's supposed to call me back in an hour....

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hey guys,

Going for my first A1C since dx tomorrow, however I looked at the script my doctor wrote and it's only for the A1C, not for the other panels for cholesterol, etc. When I asked her about getting it done, she said she doesn't think it's that important. This woman is driving me batty.

What are some of the other tests you guys get done at the same time with your A1C? She's supposed to call me back in an hour....
My doc always orders basic metabolic panel (BMP), lipids panel (cholesterol etc), thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), but I'm OLD, Rosie - maybe you don't need those done quite so often.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My doc always orders basic metabolic panel (BMP), lipids panel (cholesterol etc), thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), but I'm OLD, Rosie - maybe you don't need those done quite so often.
Well, I just talked to her and she said there's no reason to do lipids every three months. Then I asked her to read my numbers from my dx - HDL was 36 and LDL was 126, which she said was slightly elevated. So I said to her 'You know I have bacon and eggs every morning now, so why wouldn't you want to know if my bad cholesterol is worse?' Remember, she told me to 'stop eating like that'. She's going to call me back to tell me if she'll order it now. I swear, it's like pulling teeth....:mad:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well, I just talked to her and she said there's no reason to do lipids every three months. Then I asked her to read my numbers from my dx - HDL was 36 and LDL was 126, which she said was slightly elevated. So I said to her 'You know I have bacon and eggs every morning now, so why wouldn't you want to know if my bad cholesterol is worse?' Remember, she told me to 'stop eating like that'. She's going to call me back to tell me if she'll order it now. I swear, it's like pulling teeth....:mad:
It's true, though . . . these other tests normally are done annually. Even the A1c stretched out to 6-month intervals after I got rolling.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My doc also only does lipids, etc. on an annual or sometimes bi-annual basis. He also said it is not necessary every three months. But he does the A1C every three months to keep track. Actually, since the 1st of May, he has done my A1C twice to see how things are doing. He will do another one in July just because, but says we don't need to do the rest as often. He does do a CBC and electrolytes, as well.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My doc also only does lipids, etc. on an annual or sometimes bi-annual basis. He also said it is not necessary every three months. But he does the A1C every three months to keep track. Actually, since the 1st of May, he has done my A1C twice to see how things are doing. He will do another one in July just because, but says we don't need to do the rest as often. He does do a CBC and electrolytes, as well.
Just talked to Dr. Evil and she's ordering the lipids and a kidney test, but she did confirm what Shanny said about doing it once a year.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I actually only do the HbA1c and the Lipid tests once every year or so. Since with my insurance I have to pay 100% my doctor lets me do the home HbA1c tests and he said lipids don't change that quickly. Everytime I do complete labs it costs me close to $500.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Hey guys,

My goofy doc, on the other hand, has lost interest in the diabetes stuff and will not do a full lipid panel. She's interested in LDLs, period.

Best of luck (more like, seeing the results of a lot of hard work) on your A1c!

G

·
my doc does the general bloods annually usually too. I was having HbA1c tests every 3 months for a bit so my doc and endo could see if my insulin was working... but now it's probably going to be done annually as my last result was 6.6% and they were happy with that. Maybe the docs are just conscious of not overloading the labs or something?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I get the full gamut of tests every 3 months regardless but I'm part of the Alecardio drug research study for the next 4 years and it's important to keep an eye on my heart health and blood levels. it's all done for free here so there is no financial aspect for me to worry about.

I would imagine the frequency of the testing for the rest of you would be based on the blood levels you had during the previous testing and also to curb costs as well as time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts