The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a reading of 4.3, which is lower than what I expected, not sure it's a good thing. My fasting blood test (taken at the same time) was 97 [looks like the diet/exercise changes are working nicely for me, yay!]. My average readings, since diagnosis, (morning only, pre meal) have been 111 which would put me around a 5.3. I'm wondering if I should get a GSP to alleviate any concerns I might have about the low A1c value.

Btw, I've developed a windows application I use to track my blood sugar readings and break out averages (7 day, current month, overall since recording). I also use it to track my blood pressure readings (I monitor it, mostly, 3 times a day) with the same averages. I'm considering creating a version that would allow for a variable amount of blood sugar input (without blood pressure, at least initially). Let me know if anyone would use such a tool...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Got a reading of 4.3, which is lower than what I expected, not sure it's a good thing. My fasting blood test (taken at the same time) was 97 [looks like the diet/exercise changes are working nicely for me, yay!]. My average readings, since diagnosis, (morning only, pre meal) have been 111 which would put me around a 5.3. I'm wondering if I should get a GSP to alleviate any concerns I might have about the low A1c value.
Btw, I've developed a windows application I use to track my blood sugar readings and break out averages (7 day, current month, overall since recording). I also use it to track my blood pressure readings (I monitor it, mostly, 3 times a day) with the same averages. I'm considering creating a version that would allow for a variable amount of blood sugar input (without blood pressure, at least initially). Let me know if anyone would use such a tool...

Hello There: :)

Well, I know that I've never had an A1c anywhere's close to 4.3.
Good work on the weight-loss. It sounds like your meal plan is
working well for you. In the U.S., I believe 4.0-6.0. is the Good
range. I had noticed when I got my A1c last month that the range
was 4.8-6.0. I thought that was odd since I was pretty sure ours
was the same as the U.S. I had a 6.3 again. In all,many Drs. here
are Happy if their Patient has any number below a 7.0.

If you think a GSP will alleviate any concerns that you have, by
all means.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, my doctor wants my A1c to stay between 5.5 and 6.0 if possible. Anything below 6.0 is considered a nondiabetic level. My doctor thinks that an A1c below 5.5 suggests that there are too many lows (hypoglycemic reactions). I had a 5.3 a few years ago and I will agree that I had more lows during the three months preceeding that result than I had previously. My doctor would think that anyone with a 4.3 had been having many, many dangeroud hypos. I hope that is not the case with you. Good luck!

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, my doctor wants my A1c to stay between 5.5 and 6.0 if possible. Anything below 6.0 is considered a nondiabetic level. My doctor thinks that an A1c below 5.5 suggests that there are too many lows (hypoglycemic reactions). I had a 5.3 a few years ago and I will agree that I had more lows during the three months preceeding that result than I had previously. My doctor would think that anyone with a 4.3 had been having many, many dangeroud hypos. I hope that is not the case with you. Good luck!

Richard
I'm not on any form of meds for my pre-diabetes. When diagnosed, I opted to try lifestyle changes first (shifted to low GI foods, added exercise [up to 1 hr/day now]). I haven't had any symptoms of hypoglycemia and I wouldn't expect any without taking meds. I was diagnosed with Anemia 3 years ago but it was not, necessarily, the form that can cause the A1c misreadings (a GSP could provide evidence that it is).

·
Registered
6 Posts

great...success to control blood glucose....exercise, diet very powerfull combination for diabetes treatment..... hope you have nice day.... survive with diabetes god luck!!!:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
great effort...congratulation on good result.....your blood glucose control well...it means.....avoid diabetes complication :D, Actually I am not discipline on my diet so.... my post prandial very high about 7 days ago

1 - 6 of 6 Posts