The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And yay!

In 3 months, my A1c has dropped from 10.8 to 5.9. (Normal for this lab is between 4.8 and 5.3). Wooh! I'm really excited, as I'd been feeling quite discouraged, but this has got me so HYPE.

And I've lost 30 lbs :p

I'm sure I've got, like, 50 more to lose (and I'll *still* be considered very overweight according to those stupid inaccurate charts), but still, it feels good.

In other news, I'd stopped taking the Metformin (500g/day) for a bit, and since I didn't notice my FBG rise, I thought it was cool. However, because I'd been slacking in general, I started testing my blood glucose more frequently during the day, and my post prandials were really high, even for VERY few carbs. Like 8 grams, and I'd get spiked from 82 to 125. And I couldn't figure out what it was, but then thought it might be the Metformin. Started taking it again last night.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
OK,

So I was wrong - I said ...

" However, if you've been getting your numbers sub 100 most of the time I will be quite surprised if your HbA1c hasn't dropped quite a lot from that 10+ value. In fact, if we accept the mapping routines as meaning anything, look out for a 6% - Hopefully, I'm right and that may give you a bit of a lift. .."

So sue me:D!

Well done

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@arenda - Thank you!

@john.in.france - LOL. Oh my goodness, you were nearly spot on! Ha! And thank you, thank you, thank you : )

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
@arenda - Thank you!

@john.in.france - LOL. Oh my goodness, you were nearly spot on! Ha! And thank you, thank you, thank you : )
No I wasn't - You were! It was your hard work and self discipline that got your numbers there even in the face of your impression that you weren't doing that well. It just proves you were. Again - well done!

As Barbara said - welcome to the 5% club. Next time, we want to see your figure down at the low end. Go for it!

John

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Terrific! So no more 'wailing' from you, eh! And no more 'giant' either - losing 10# a month! ;) Way to go!

Greater success than you could imagine, and a huge headstart in your diabetes management. :first:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much, everyone. I was really surprised, but I'm very relieved. And it's encouraging news, since I was feeling a bit down.

One of the most upsetting things to me is when I meet someone new and they tell me diabetes is "completely reversible", and it just makes me sad because I know that it's not. And someone told me that yesterday, and it caused a PHYSICAL ACHE in me not to roll my eyes.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thank you so much, everyone. I was really surprised, but I'm very relieved. And it's encouraging news, since I was feeling a bit down.

One of the most upsetting things to me is when I meet someone new and they tell me diabetes is "completely reversible", and it just makes me sad because I know that it's not. And someone told me that yesterday, and it caused a PHYSICAL ACHE in me not to roll my eyes.

First I want to congratulate you on your numbers - well done!

Regarding the "completely reversible" I agree with you, I ran into someone that said that their Dr. said they were "cured of D because she had lost 18 lbs.", I was speechless.

·
Super Moderator
9,661 Posts
A lot of the the complications are reversible but not the disease. This disease will stay with you, but unlike a lot of diseases, not necessarily the symptoms. A lot of people here will attest that getting Dx'd has proven to be a extension to longevity and a healthier life because of it. And if they had to have a disease and could choose which one to have, this one is not that bad . It takes a little more work to do it right. Its not simply take a pill or needle, even for type 1s, its do what you have to to keep your BG under control.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts