The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the Gastric Emptying test done yesterday to verify the Gastroparesis. Doc called me today and says the ol' tummy is so slow that she's going to schedule a scope to be done to make sure there isn't a blockage. She also is prescribing liquid Reglan because it's more effective than the tabs. I've been off of the meds for a few days for the testing and I really know it. I told her I've been playing around with the insulin trying to find a "good time" to take it and she suggests waiting a hour or so after my meals but we'll work on that more to try and find a balance.

Sometimes it feels like it's neva gonna end.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've wondered about gastroparesis for myself. It takes me many hours after a meal to feel hungry again, and food repels me until my appetite returns. How did you discover you might have had it?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I had the Gastric Emptying test done yesterday to verify the Gastroparesis. Doc called me today and says the ol' tummy is so slow that she's going to schedule a scope to be done to make sure there isn't a blockage. She also is prescribing liquid Reglan because it's more effective than the tabs. I've been off of the meds for a few days for the testing and I really know it. I told her I've been playing around with the insulin trying to find a "good time" to take it and she suggests waiting a hour or so after my meals but we'll work on that more to try and find a balance.

Sometimes it feels like it's neva gonna end.
I am glad you got your diagnosis. Gastroparesis can be a really tough thing to work around. Reglan works for most people, but not for me. Since it has a black box warning about some body movements turning into a permenant issue, I refuse to take it. I take an antibiotic to speed up my digestion and take zofran for the nausea that never leaves me alone.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checochinican
The indigestion and nausea got so bad I couldn't fight it anymore. When you have to drink Malox with your meal just to calm your stomach enough to get some food in you it's time to get help. It started out just lasting for a small amount of time a few hours but over time it became constant like my stomach was always a boiling cauldron of acid. That's the only way I know to describe it. I'm sure I let it go on way too long before I finally brought it to a Dr.'s attention. When I think back I had been struggling with these symptoms for a few years. At one time also I had lost such a huge amount of weight so fast I thought I had cancer or something. Luckily that wasn't the case but I'm still not sure what caused it. It was a very bad time in my life so I don't know if it was the gastro, the diabetes, the stress I was under or a combination of all of the above.
Some of the other symptoms for me was constant burping and burping up bits of undigested food even into the next day (that's a huge red flag btw that things aren't moving like they should), no appetite and when I eat no matter how little or how much it feels like a whole watermelon sitting in my stomach.
And then there's my sugars. Totally out of whack and I can't seem to find a happy medium. Taking my fast acting insulin is a crap shoot and I am so tired of crashing and frustrated with spiking it brings me to tears at times.
With the Lantus I find I have to eat every 4 hrs. at least so I always feel like I'm forcing food in me without wanting it at all. That hurts because I've always loved to eat. My Other is real good about making sure I stay on schedule and eat otherwise I would blow off way too many meals and shots. Sometimes when he says "you need to eat something" I just whine at him (occasionally growl) but eat anyway.
At least with the meds I've got a handle on some of the worst symptoms and I am more aware of which foods and amounts bother me the most and stay away from them.
I suppose I could just eat little bowls of soft foods but mentally I'm not ready to do that.

Breezy....they assure me that if I experience any of those side effects that if I quit taking it immediately I'll be ok and they won't be permanent.
I know what the alternative to not taking it is....... I don't want to go there again. I will be sure to ask though what else can be prescribed.

I've wondered about gastroparesis for myself. It takes me many hours after a meal to feel hungry again, and food repels me until my appetite returns. How did you discover you might have had it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts