The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone

My previous post spoke about how I went to the diabetes foundation last week and they basically told me to eat quite a high carb diet AND keep my BSLs under control...(impossible for me)

So on Monday I went to my GP and she basically looked through my food diary and listened when I told her about the Diabetes assoc advice. She actually said that MANY of her patients have to resort to low carb diets ....

WE discussed several low carb diets but I can't do Atkins due to the fat content as I have a complication with a super high triglyceride level....So now I'm on quite a restricted diet with low carb veg, lean meat and some low fat cheese...

Sounds pretty bland but last night I was able to tolerate an orange with dinner (unheard of before) and my bsls were only 7.3 2 hours afterwards...Which is incredibly low for me. and this morning my fasting was 8.1 which is the lowest it's ever been.... I mean these are still higher than where we want them but I finally found a little something thats working....YAY :)

So today I feel like I'm in a good place... I seem to have a sensible GP and I seem to have some food I can eat :) I go back to see her in 3 weeks so we'll see how things go :)

Have a great day everyone!

Reactions: foxl and Shanny

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
You have totally lucked out.

I love to hear news like this! :D

Very glad your diet's working so quickly. The levels may take some time to get down to where you want 'em.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shalynne!

Thanks for your reply...

Hopefully the levels will continue to drop and some of the excess weight will go too :)

Win win situation if it works....:)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thank you loads for following up with this, TiggleTaggle. News like yours gives all of us courage to continue the struggle. I'm really happy that you have a doctor you can trust and who trusts YOU to recognize when the instructions you've been given are detrimental.

I hope more docs can step back & see the big picture here . . . "that MANY of her patients have to resort to low carb diets ...." Wouldn't it be wonderful if they'd START OUT with low-carb, and go from there?!

G

·
sounds good TiggleTaggle :D I also have an understanding GP... when you find them you hang on to them. lol. As long as the numbers are going down that's what you're aiming for.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I suspect that much of the reticence to put forward a low-carb approach is a fear of litigation by the Doctors: if they advise patients based on the current health guidelines and things don't work out well, at least they are covered, but if the Doctor advised you to try low-carb (contrary to the guidelines) and things went badly there could be questions of professional liability.

As you put forward low-carb yourself then that is different.

From what I have heard, many Doctors will advise other Doctors to use low-carb for themselves, so I think many do know about it, but the professional bodies and guidelines seem to move at a geological rate of progress.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Good for your GP. We need many more like her to buck the system of more carbs and more meds. If your Trigs are high you may want to cut out the fruit. There is some research that show the Fructose is one cause of high trigs. Many people who go low carb also lower their Trigs a ton. High Trigs are caused by high carbs, not high fat. On a Ketogenic diet the fat gets burned off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HI Jwags :)

I ate an orange on Tuesday...first piece of fruit in months ........

It's funny isn't it.? When you can't have something you want it really bad.... I'm sure that this is the first time in my life that I have craved a fruit salad! HA!!

I wonder if I got a cleaner in, if I would start to crave housework.... some how I doubt it!

Thanks for the info on Trigs!

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
If you look up triglycerides and CARBS, you might discover that it is your carb intake (previously) or elevated blood sugar status, that is sending your trigs high.

I work in a medical library. I nonetheless use google a lot for such searches. Obviously you have to vet your sources, but that is not difficult either!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts