The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely love graham crackers, but can't figure out if they're okay on a d diet. Also does anyone know of a substitute for brown sugar? :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I absolutely love graham crackers, but can't figure out if they're okay on a d diet. Also does anyone know of a substitute for brown sugar? :)
I would avoid graham crackers the same as I avoid any sweetened cookie or cracker. NutritionData.com places a single serving (28g) at 21g of carb, which is 75% of it being carb.

There are artificial substitutes for brown sugar . . . one is Ideal no-calorie brown sweetener (made with xylitol), another is Splenda brown sugar blend (made with sucralose) and yet another is Sugar Twin brown sugar (made with sodium cyclamate). All of these also contain fillers such as dextrose, maltodextrin, etc., and flavor such as molasses, so they aren't entirely sugar-free and they can still spike your BGL.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Regarding the graham crackers: I wouldn't eat them. Lots of refined carbs... lots of sugar. Some Nutritional info here. Shanny beat me to it, though...

On the brown sugar idea... I'm told 1 cup of artificial sweetener (such as the splenda for baking) combined with 1/4C of sugar-free maple syrup or molasses can work in some recipes, but haven't tried it myself.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
the only way to tell if they work on a d diet is to test your BG. however read the nutrition label on the side of the box, it will tell you how many carbs in a serving. and how many serving are you going to eat?

for me no more than 1/2 a graham crackers.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Any cookie or cracker that is made with flour will probably spike you. You can make your own graham crackers using almond meal. One of my favorite low carb sites is Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home I think she has a graham cracker recipe. As far as brown sugar, in baking I use a mix of erythitol and stevia to get the best results. You can buy brown sugar splenda but it is 2 carbs per 1/2 teaspoon which is a lot. Lots of times I spash in a little Toraini or Davinci sugar free syrup. It comes in all flavors.

Reactions: Dodie37737
1 - 5 of 5 Posts