The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a Cut/Paste from the American Diabetes Association website:

AmericanDiabetesAssocWebsite said:
Myth: If you have diabetes, you should only eat small amounts of starchy foods, such as bread, potatoes and pasta.

Fact: Starchy foods are part of a healthy meal plan. What is important is the portion size. Whole grain breads, cereals, pasta, rice and starchy vegetables like potatoes, yams, peas and corn can be included in your meals and snacks. The key is portions. For most people with diabetes, having 3-4 servings of carbohydrate-containing foods is about right. Whole grain starchy foods are also a good source of fiber, which helps keep your gut healthy.
Now I've got to admit I find this interesting ... I've noticed many people say they've cut starchy foods out entirely.

In my 8 days of eating/testing I've noticed that anything starchy spikes me at least 2-3 points (or higher) on the mmol scale within a couple hours. So far the worst for me was a frozen pizza the family ate. But even ONE piece of whole grain/sprouted grain will pop me up considerably more than .. .say ... fresh veggies.

I'm convinced after just over a week of testing (I test fasting and both one and two hours after meals) that every bread, cereal, rice and corn I've tried is off my diet...

If this isn't sound advice, why does the diabetes.org website dispense it?? Curious ...

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Why, indeed?

some people think it is because the organization is funded by drug companies, so they train CDE's to push carbs and spread propaganda in order to increase drug co. profits.

Seems a bit paranoid to me, but ...

I also have trouble believing it is just outright ignorance, in this day and age.

bottom line for me is: Their recommendations do not work, for me! And I spent a few months feeling I was a failure, for my efforts to make them work.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It certainly runs contrary to everything most conscientious diabetic patients discover with frequent testing. My opinion is that there is a lot of politics involved, as there usually is, any time there's power to be gained or money to be had. I have very little respect for the ADA guidelines or their educational efforts. I'll direct a new PWD to Jenny Ruhl every time.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Most of us have discovered the exact same thing. I think cereal and oatmeal are the worst for me. Those are the foods we are told to eat. The only bread I can eat is a sprouted grain bread, because it is not made from flour but sprouts. The ADA also tells us that it is healthy to keep our HbA1c around 7%. Most people who use an ADA diet plan probably have much higher bgs and HbA1c's. When I was first dx'd I didn't know any better. When I went to my CDE she gave me a similar diet and she told me it was ok to be 180 after meals. I am glad I found online forums and learned the real truth. I know a lot of diabetics who follow their dietician to the letter and wonder why they can't lose weight. One friend confided me that she couldn't get bgs under 160 at fasting. When she told her doctor, he told her other diabetics would love to have her bgs. Most doctors don't think we can have near normal bgs, but members of these forums have proved that wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts