The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my follow up with my doctor today after starting my metformin. Its been almost three months since I started and I have to say I have been feeling much better. My doctor came in and said well, lets see how you have been doing with your blood work. I was hoping that my blood work reflected how I was feeling. She was reading my labs, and kept saying Wow..wow...wow..I said.."Is the wow a good wow or a bad wow". She looked at me and said "You made my day." I was like huh? She said that she could tell I had lost weight, which I have 25 lbs, and she said that all my levels are doing so much better. My A1C went from 8.1 to 6.1. I was so happy to hear that. She said that she usually gives her patients an A+ if they get down one number, so I got an A++ she said...lol. She asked me if I had seen the dietitian like she had suggested, I said no, that I had found this forum and had been following the LCHF diet suggested on here. Got rid of the soda, and have been walking much more. She was very interested about the LCHF diet and asked me quite a few questions. Even though she felt I was doing such a good job on my own, she still wanted me to see a dietitian, so I said I would. I am going to be very interested to what information he/she suggests once I go.

I just wanted to share my good news, and say thank you to everyone on here for all the great information that has helped me over the past few months. I was very blessed to find this forum:D

G

·
What wonderful news, newf, and also how good it is to have a doctor with an open mind. You must be over the moon.:cheer2:

·
Registered
741 Posts
awesome!!!!!!

I think it is always a bonus to have a few good blood tests to prove to your doctor that you're taking a BIG interest in your own health...I have found that since I have proved my lifestyle is working for me my doctor listens to my opinions more closely...

excellent work!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone. I really am happy about how things are going right now. It was funny because when she told me I was diabetic, I really didn't freak out, but I was truly concerned about the side effects and how they would affect my life ie blindness etc. We get several people a year in our office for amputations due to diabetes. I don't want to be one of those patients, so I really am taking more concern with my health now than I did before. I have always been heavy, even as a child my mother use to drag me to doctor after doctor trying to figure out why I wasn't thin like my sister. Maybe one day I will be more into the normal range for someone who is five foot four.:) She did put me on a very low dose of lisinopril for my kidneys as my labs for that were a bit off. I had a total hysterectomy just two years ago this march, and I have had several complications since then. My blood pressure was close to normal, but she wanted me to take it to help protect my kidneys.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
WOW!!!! Great sucess in such a short time. It is nice that your doctor is curious about LC/HF but why does she still want you to see a dietician. I wonder what the track records of most diecticians are? My experience with dieticians is they are taught to teach one type of diet for Diabetics. Be ready for her to question the fat you eat and the lack of whole grains.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
It was funny because when she told me I was diabetic, I really didn't freak out, but I was truly concerned about the side effects and how they would affect my life ie blindness etc. We get several people a year in our office for amputations due to diabetes. I don't want to be one of those patients, so I really am taking more concern with my health now than I did before. I have always been heavy, even as a child my mother use to drag me to doctor after doctor trying to figure out why I wasn't thin like my sister. Maybe one day I will be more into the normal range for someone who is five foot four.
I agree about avoiding side effects. Too many people in my life have told me "I wish I had taken better care of myself when I was diagnosed". I've watched them go through amputations, eyesight problems, and even dementia (my mom). I don't want to ever have to say "I wish I had...".
And my mother and grandmother did the same thing! They were sure I had a thyroid problem or some other similar explanation for my body type. My grandmother gave me a girdle for my 8th bday:mmph: Maybe we're related?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jwags, I wasn't sure why she wanted me to go either, but she said she wanted me to have some help when I needed it. She truly wants me to succeed at this, so I said I would go. Not that I will change what I know that works for me at this moment, but I will keep an open mind when I see the dietitian.

ethera, I get it as well. Many people in my family do the same things. I have this, but thats ok, it will be alright, and it wasn't. Hubby is in the same park, but getting better, his eyesight is an issue for him right now, so we are trying to get his head around a better way to eat. He is Puerto Rican, so he grew up eating all that rice, bread, heavy sauces etc..and alot of sweets . So we are trying to blend my ways from here and his ways to eat. It is working slowly, but he is coming around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts