The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who uses almond flour. Started looking out there for a good dessert when we were invited to a dinner. So I found a brownie recipe!

Ingredients:
5 eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups splenda
1 1/2 cups almond flour (almond meal)
1 T vanilla
1 8 oz bar of fat free or regular cream cheese

You can also squirt a blob of sugar free hershey for more flavor.

Mix and put in pan at 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a friend who uses almond flour. Started looking out there for a good dessert when we were invited to a dinner. So I found a brownie recipe!

Ingredients:
5 eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups splenda
1 1/2 cups almond flour (almond meal)
1 T vanilla
1 8 oz bar of fat free or regular cream cheese

You can also squirt a blob of sugar free hershey for more flavor.

Mix and put in pan at 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.

5 eggs. 2.5 carbs
3/4 cup cocoa 36 carbs
2 cups Splenda 48 carbs
1 1/2 cups almond flour 36 carbs
1 8oz bar fat free cream cheese 8 carbs
Total carbs=130.5
130.5 divided by 12 = 10.8
Not bad if this is correct. :)

Reactions: bdelatte

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
5 eggs. 2.5 carbs
3/4 cup cocoa 36 carbs
2 cups Splenda 48 carbs
1 1/2 cups almond flour 36 carbs
1 8oz bar fat free cream cheese 8 carbs
Total carbs=130.5
130.5 divided by 12 = 10.8
Not bad if this is correct. :)
And you could reduce that with a different sweetener - use erythritol with a coupla drops of liquid Splenda (no maltodextrin) and knock out 48 carbs right there.

(NutritionData shows 8oz fat free cream cheese as 16g carbs. Full fat is the one with 8g of carbs)

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Liquid Splenda is zero carb, but the granulated version is bulked up with maltodextrin so it will measure spoonful-for-spoonful like sugar. In fact, maltodextrin is the primary ingredient. A teaspoon of it has 1g of carb. Source

I'm sure they aren't just ABOUT to tell us that on their website. They make the serving size small enough that they can say "less than" 1g.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cream cheese is less than 1 carb. I had calculated it out to about 5-6 carbs but will make sure I am correct so everyone is sure

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup...the 10 carb brownie! Thanks for the calculation! I bought packaged one high in fiber and they still were nearly 20 carbs!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Liquid Splenda is zero carb, but the granulated version is bulked up with maltodextrin so it will measure spoonful-for-spoonful like sugar. In fact, maltodextrin is the primary ingredient. A teaspoon of it has 1g of carb. Source

I'm sure they aren't just ABOUT to tell us that on their website. They make the serving size small enough that they can say "less than" 1g.
:eek: Good gravy. So much for thinking it was harmless. Looks like I'll be picking up some of the liquid stuff today.

Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
66 Posts
And you could reduce that with a different sweetener - use erythritol with a coupla drops of liquid Splenda
I really do apologize for raising my hand so often, but could you explain what you mean here? Why erythritol AND liquid Splenda? Wouldn't the proper amount of liquid Splenda alone do the sweetening? :confused:

(And where does one get just plain erythritol?)
(And was erythritol the one sugar alcohol that wasn't carby or something? Something about being metabolized by the liver...)

Still learning...

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Erythritol isn't metabolized at all. It's taken up by the small intestine, then excreted unchanged in the urine. A very small amount may make it to the large intestine, but really minute. I get mine from Amazon.

The advantage of erythritol and splenda is taste. Each seems to cancel out the other's aftertaste, and honestly - maybe it's because it has been so long since I had sugar, but the combo tastes nearly identical to real sugar. To my taste, erythritol has the least objectionable aftertaste, but YMMV. I use it primarily w/ just a couple/few drops of liquid splenda depending on size of recipe of course.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
How does one know how much of the erythritol and liquid splenda to substitute for the granular splenda? Also, where do you buy the liquid splenda? I've looked in many store and have yet to find it for sale.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
There's a coolness to erythritol that distracts me if I don't use a little something else with it. Something like the coolness of spearmint - know what I mean? It seems like mixing a coupla different sweeteners helps remove the odd flavors/aftertastes.

As for the liquid sucralose (Splenda), I get EZ-Sweetz from Netrition. It's highly concentrated and takes only about 3 or 4 drops to equal 1/4 cup sugar. Gotta be really careful not to get too much.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
How does one know how much of the erythritol and liquid splenda to substitute for the granular splenda?
As my taste buds have been changing, I sweeten most everything to taste and usually with considerably less than a recipe calls for. Shanny is spot-on about being careful with those drops - they go a loong way.

Since I get most everything on Amazon, I got it there.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
What makes erythritol so hard to find in a retail food store? Is it so new that the stores haven't caught up with demand for the product? Any idea if it is ok to serve someone who has food allergies? My dil is very sensitive to certain artificial ingredients in processed foods. I would not want to offer her something that might set off an asthma attack.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thank you for the links Shanny. I will ask my dil to review this information to see if she thinks it might be ok for her.

I ordered some liquid Splenda and the Erythritol from netrition.com this morning. I'm glad the people on this forum are willing to share what they know about foods containing what I call "hidden carbs". I never would have guessed Splenda had carbs in it and could never figure out why my BG went high after eating foods made with it. :(

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yup...the 10 carb brownie! Thanks for the calculation! I bought packaged one high in fiber and they still were nearly 20 carbs!

I didn't want you to think I was attacking your recipe because 10 carbs is a lot better than some. I was making a point about the Splenda. I just realized the carbs in it last week and was stunned. I use 3 teaspoons in my big coffee mug so if I have more than one and use more during the day I am getting quite a few carbs from it. Plus in some recipes it seems like there are no carbs in it if you don't count the Splenda and then you wonder why your BG went up. Thanks to Shanny I am ordering the liquid also.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts