The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
In the UK we can't buy the liquid versions but our sweeteners do come in tablet form so I am assuming that dissolving the tablets in a small amount of hot water would be better that the granulated form?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Humhum - I could not agree with you more. I've always been fond of Cappuccino and since the commercial variety is high in sugar, I've tried to make it at home. Ha!! Now that I know Splenda is not carb free, I can understand why my BG went to the moon :(

I enjoy this brownie recipe and especially since the carb count is provided for those of us who use insulin :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Humhum - I could not agree with you Now that I know Splenda is not carb free, I can understand why my BG went to the moon :(

I was stunned when I found out the carbs. It makes me so angry that they try to be so sneaky. I still use it but with but not as liberally.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have a friend who uses almond flour. Started looking out there for a good dessert when we were invited to a dinner. So I found a brownie recipe!

Ingredients:
5 eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups splenda
1 1/2 cups almond flour (almond meal)
1 T vanilla
1 8 oz bar of fat free or regular cream cheese

You can also squirt a blob of sugar free hershey for more flavor.

Mix and put in pan at 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.

I'm confused, there isn't any baking powder in this recipe??

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I tried this recipe and I have to admit I really didn't like it. It was really dry and mealy. To me it's not actually a brownie recipe as much as a modified cheesecake. A friend who sampled it suggested adding a can of cherries, drained and rinsed and pureed, for moisture.

Also, I really tasted a Splenda aftertaste. Maybe I need to experiment with half sugar/half Splenda recipes or just reducing the sugar.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I tried this recipe and I have to admit I really didn't like it. It was really dry and mealy. To me it's not actually a brownie recipe as much as a modified cheesecake. A friend who sampled it suggested adding a can of cherries, drained and rinsed and pureed, for moisture.

Also, I really tasted a Splenda aftertaste. Maybe I need to experiment with half sugar/half Splenda recipes or just reducing the sugar.
If you want a really indulgent brownie have a go at these:
FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE BROWNIES WITH HOT CHOCOLATE SAUCE | Recipes | Nigella Lawson - some tweaks will need to be made replacing sugar etc but I promise you they really are GOOD...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Using another artificial sweetener helps with the off flavors too . . . I usually mix a little erythritol with sucralose. DH has taken himself off sucralose, testing if it could be the cause of a little kidney disfunction he's had (he used to use tons of the stuff), and he now mixes saccharine with erythritol for his coffee. A tweak I found for him which seems to help reduce the ungodly amounts of sweetening he thinks he needs, is to add a few grains of salt too.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts