The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this recipe on Discovery health on a diabetes diet- it was awesome!

fresh spinach about 1/2 cup
mushrooms about 1/2 cup
red onions 2 tblspns
2 tblspns of feta cheese (fat free feta)
3 egg whites
I used a few sprays of canola oil cooking spray
black pepper

cook the mushroom and onion in a non stick pan for 5 minutes on med high heat.

remove from pan, add 2 egg whites, when gets firm, return mushrooms and onion back to pan, add fresh spinach and feta.
fold over and slide onto plate.
serve with 1 cup of plain non fat yogurt and optional- slice of whole wheat toast (plain)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I will make this recipe next week. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it really is good. You'll enjoy it. I have a question regarding breakfast, what are some typical good breakfast choices for a diabetic? I know cereals are very hard since they are high in carbs-What about shredded wheat? And besides cereal , eggs, anything else for someone who is always on the run with 2 kids a job and endless errands? lol... Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I like any of the high fiber cereals like Fiber One or Bran Buds. I also like soy milk rather than cow's milk. I usually will eat a piece of fruit with my cereal. Sometimes I have a couple eggs with whole wheat toast and a piece of fruit. There are even times when I might have some meat from dinner the night before or a sandwich with some veggies.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts

I saw this recipe on Discovery health on a diabetes diet- it was awesome!

fresh spinach about 1/2 cup
mushrooms about 1/2 cup
red onions 2 tblspns
2 tblspns of feta cheese (fat free feta)
3 egg whites
I used a few sprays of canola oil cooking spray
black pepper

cook the mushroom and onion in a non stick pan for 5 minutes on med high heat.

remove from pan, add 2 egg whites, when gets firm, return mushrooms and onion back to pan, add fresh spinach and feta.
fold over and slide onto plate.
serve with 1 cup of plain non fat yogurt and optional- slice of whole wheat toast (plain)

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is great, now I know what I'll be making for Sunday breakfast this week. If you have other breakfast recipes, I'm all ears (or eyes rather :))

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'd go for it if it had 3 whole eggs... preferably from pasture-raised chickens.

Use proper full fat feta...

I'd replace the canola with EVOO, coconut oil, butter or lard

and maybe an unadulterated natural yoghurt... fat and all! :eyebrows: Now THAT is low-carb!

How about some Real Whole Food like humans have been eating forever instead?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts