The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just introducing myself. Was diagnosed with Type II in Sept after a week of drinking fluids like a fish and peeing incessantly. Was caregiver for Dad, who was Type I (as far as I know, but it could have been Type II that just required a lot of insulin), so I have been well-informed about all of this for over fifteen years...and as such I knew what all the drinking and peeing meant. I come to this forum to share experiences and info, learn new things that might not be widely known in the mainstream, and dot the i's and cross the t's on things I might not be aware of even after having "coached" in this game for so long.

Was initially given Metformin, and that produced lower GI hell. Glumetza was no better, so for now it's Novolog. I was never really heavy, but after dropping sixteen pounds now (just from removing carbs) I'm approaching a fairly decent weight of 230 for a 6'1" guy. Quite sure that will continue to go down, given how so many tasty pre-diagnosis dinners have now become salads.

Averaging 130 sugars since I started testing (5-6x daily)...having a hard time getting it lower than that; I'm taking what would appear to be more than sufficient insulin, but there seems to be a false floor at the moment. Will follow up with doc on that. Some consider sugars in the 130s to be a decent goal, but I am determined to get it back to normal 90's levels (I refuse to lose my eyesight) and am fully willing to make the sacrifices necessary. Had 44 years of fun and games (ice cream, chocolate milk and bread), can't really complain. Bunless grilled chicken and walking the dogs is not the same as a Wendy's #6 combo on the couch watching TV, but oh well.

Looking forward to making valuable connections on here and sharing smart diabetes management ideas.

One small closing comment: Over the last few years of his life, when we really grabbed hold of this and diligently controlled things, Dad had consistent A1c averages in the upper 5's. For those of you thinking this is just too much to handle, and that this is a life sentence you can't change, DON'T DESPAIR - CONTROLLING THIS BEAST ABSOLUTELY CAN BE DONE. Takes work, takes dedication, takes commitment, but it can be done. :)

Reactions: moon

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome! I love your go get 'em attitude. Yes, it can be done and a lot of folks here have done it and are under good control. You do know lots about it, sorry you had to get it that way, but you 'ain't' no Bubby!

Pull up a chair and keep reading. We may know a few things you don't, but I'll bet you have a few goodies for us too!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum - you already sound like a regular :) With your knowledge base and determination, I know you'll get into the 5% club!

Glad you're here.

Reactions: NotBubba

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome! I love your go get 'em attitude. Yes, it can be done and a lot of folks here have done it and are under good control. You do know lots about it, sorry you had to get it that way, but you 'ain't' no Bubby!

Pull up a chair and keep reading. We may know a few things you don't, but I'll bet you have a few goodies for us too!
Thanks, Pat. I'm counting on you all knowing things I don't. ;) I think the biggest hurdle for me will be the psychology of it all. I can't just get up and go eat whatever I want anymore, whether it be mint chip ice cream or a bowl of Mini-Wheats. I need to become comfortable with/accepting of the fact that being full after a meal loaded with veggies is the same "full" I felt after an Italian beef sandwich and fries.

Oh, Johnnie's, I'm going to miss you so... :Cry:

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Great - you had to go and mention my favorite mint chocolate ice cream, didn't you? Now I make do with Carbsmart chocolate, and find a carton of it lasts a long time (not so in my former life w/ the Breyer's choc mint!) - mostly because I've lost the intense cravings since being low-carb.

I cook more now than I did pre-diabetes, and that's helpful in keeping my diet varied and more interesting. We've got lots of easy recipes in the diet/nutrition section, some delicious substitutes for old carby favorites.

Reactions: NotBubba

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
And rarely, note rarely, I go with someone to Johnny's and have pizza, but with only one slice with crust and i pull all the goodies off other slices and eat those wonderful toppings with not too much spike! I generally make my own with low carb tortillas and pile on, and I mean pile on, all the goodies.

Works for me.

I also keep some of my homemade ice creams in the freezer. Again, works for me!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great - you had to go and mention my favorite mint chocolate ice cream, didn't you? Now I make do with Carbsmart chocolate, and find a carton of it lasts a long time (not so in my former life w/ the Breyer's choc mint!) - mostly because I've lost the intense cravings since being low-carb.
Sorry, Moon! :D

Thanks for bringing up the Carbsmart. In my brief experiences with all the reduced-carb sweeties, I've found that they usually replace the regular sugar with sugar alcohols. These still are carbs, right? And I've read that they may be, um, unpopular in the GI area. :eek: Can you detail your experiences with these sugar alcohols? I find myself thinking that if 1 cup of Carbsmart is about the same carb-wise as 1/3 cup of regular, I'll just go for the regular. Is that reasonable?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Hey, BubbaNot ... Welcome!

I see a couple red flags here. (they think, oh, there she goes AGAIN! :rolleyes: And they are right).

You are slender, and have a family history of T1D. So ... my suggestion is to get a couple more tests: GAD-65 Autoantibodies, and a c-peptide, which will provide an estimate of how much insulin you are producing.

It might help you plan better ... clearly, you will not want to lose much weight, f'rinstance.

Might want to read more, here: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16162265.php and particularly, scroll down to the part on LADA. The entire site is excellent though!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
You're right, sorbitol can have a gastric effect, but it doesn't seem to bother me in small quantities. Sugar, however, bothers me in any quantity. When I cook, I use another sugar alcohol, erythritol, which is the only one that doesn't enter the large intestine, it's excreted through the urine, so is gastrically kind.

I've been lucky with sugar alcohols, though not everyone is (except for erythritol which seems to spike noone.) I do eat small quantities though, and don't push the envelope if my bs is >100-110

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hey, BubbaNot ... Welcome!

I see a couple red flags here. (they think, oh, there she goes AGAIN! :rolleyes: And they are right).

You are slender, and have a family history of T1D. So ... my suggestion is to get a couple more tests: GAD-65 Autoantibodies, and a c-peptide, which will provide an estimate of how much insulin you are producing.
Foxl, thanks...you're officially in the will now, due to the "slender" comment. :D

Had all the tests, just haven't been back to the doc for the explanation/interpretation yet. (She's a busy gal.) She said that I still am producing insulin (assuming that's from the c-peptide test), so officially I'm Type II, but based on my numbers over the past three weeks, I'd imagine that I'm only producing miniscule amounts.

I need to go back to my Dad's doc and ask if he really was truly Type I. It's entirely possible he was much like I appear to be now, with a pancreas producing a barely discernible and metabolically insignificant amount of insulin. Never inquired, never really mattered; we just fought the good fight with the tools we were given: insulin, food and exercise. Don't know what difference it'll make, if any, regarding my own situation (whether he was I or II), but it'd be nice to know for sure.

>>Added after I read the LADA article:

That's really some terrific info. I never thought to consider my psoriasis (extremely mild, but an autoimmune condition nonetheless) as being a potential ingredient in this mix. Will definitely be bringing this information along with me to the doc.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. Many times when we are newly dx'd it will take quite awhile for bgs to lower. I was dx'd with a fasting of 240 and HbA1c of almost 11. In the first few months I couldn't get below 150-160. Then I added metformin and had to raise it 3 times until I was on the maximum of 2550 mg. Then my bgs did come down to close to 100. I have been on that maximum dose for almost 3 years now but it is a constant battle. I also have gone very low carb and actually don't miss the bread, pasta or rice. I bought an ice cream maker this summer and experimented with making my own LC ice cream. It wasn't too bad. Luckily I like to cook and we have some great cooks here at DF. I make chocolate chip cookies, cheesecakes, muffins, waffles, crackers , Doritoes and even chocolate fudge. It is a small price to pay to get near normal bgs. I was also a slender Type 2 who ate a healthy diet and exercised but I guess my pancreas didn't get the message.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome aboard Bubba, glad to have you here.

·
Registered
741 Posts
hey Bubba *waves from Australia* and welcome to the group

1 - 13 of 13 Posts