The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! Firstly, I am short. secondly I have type 1 diabetes and have had for 37 and a half years. I'm 41yrs old and have a 9 yr old daughter who also has type 1. I am from New Zealand and have a bit of trouble understanding the different measurements of blood tests and some other tests. Over here, there good range is between 4-7mmol/l.

We are both on Lantus and Novorapid. I have some complications but solider on. What else can you do? I have a sense of humour and work on an on call basis at the local library/museum complex in New Plymouth, Taranaki, NZ. I am currently being treated for neuropathy, both peripheral and autonomic. It's not much fun at times so for those of you who have only been recently diagnosed, look after those sugar levels!!

Drop me a line and say hi. Also I just want to say to Richard157 I think you're amazing and unusual!!! You are very lucky. Well done. Long may your good health continue.:D

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi there! Firstly, I am short. secondly I have type 1 diabetes and have had for 37 and a half years. I'm 41yrs old and have a 9 yr old daughter who also has type 1. I am from New Zealand and have a bit of trouble understanding the different measurements of blood tests and some other tests. Over here, there good range is between 4-7mmol/l.

We are both on Lantus and Novorapid. I have some complications but solider on. What else can you do? I have a sense of humour and work on an on call basis at the local library/museum complex in New Plymouth, Taranaki, NZ. I am currently being treated for neuropathy, both peripheral and autonomic. It's not much fun at times so for those of you who have only been recently diagnosed, look after those sugar levels!!

Drop me a line and say hi. Also I just want to say to Richard157 I think you're amazing and unusual!!! You are very lucky. Well done. Long may your good health continue.:D
Hi there! Welcome and good to meet you. Wow...that must be a real challenge to not only manage your own diabetes...but help your daughter manage hers also. Kudos to you for being able to handle it all :)

As far as the different numbers... take your result and multiply it by 18 to get the conversion. Or to change my result to yours, divide by 18. Like I just woke up and my blood sugar was 90. For you, that would be 5.

Sorry to hear about your neuropathy. I have some degree of peripheral and autonomic as well. Luckily the peripheral is confined to one area on my right foot and a small patch on my left thigh.....and then of course I have the gastroparesis and occasional issues with swallowing. But all things said and done it could be worse considering I went for a long time pretty uncontrolled.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to getting to know you and hearing how you manage your diabetes. I am always looking to hear what is working for other people :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi and welcome! Love your move-forward attitude. That's got to be a good influence on your daughter.

I didn't join the T1 club 'til I was 53. But here I am - it was daunting at first. I know now that I'm in very good company.

Jen

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard - good to meet you! Sounds like you have things well under control over there and your daughter is lucky to have a proactive mom to guide her and set a good example for her.

Thank you for joining us and please come back often . . . everybody benefits by sharing experiences and you surely have a wealth of knowledge & wisdom to share.

take care,

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Father and daughter

Hello to you and your daughter! I may be somewhat unusual, but there are Type 1 diabetics who have lived with diabetes much longer than me. If you research William Rounds you will see he was diagnosed in 1923. He has been Type 1 for 86 years. There are others here in the USA who have been Type 1 longer than me.

I hope you and your daughter will also live long lives, hopefully free of any serious complications. Feel free to ask any questions you want. I hope you find the site useful and friendly.

Richard

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi from NZ

Hi there! Welcome and good to meet you. Wow...that must be a real challenge to not only manage your own diabetes...but help your daughter manage hers also. Kudos to you for being able to handle it all :)

As far as the different numbers... take your result and multiply it by 18 to get the conversion. Or to change my result to yours, divide by 18. Like I just woke up and my blood sugar was 90. For you, that would be 5.

Sorry to hear about your neuropathy. I have some degree of peripheral and autonomic as well. Luckily the peripheral is confined to one area on my right foot and a small patch on my left thigh.....and then of course I have the gastroparesis and occasional issues with swallowing. But all things said and done it could be worse considering I went for a long time pretty uncontrolled.

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to getting to know you and hearing how you manage your diabetes. I am always looking to hear what is working for other people :)
Hi Pam

Thank you for your welcome and the advice on the differences in tests. I take it that yoyu have type 2? yeah having neuropathy is a nuisance, at times downright painful but what helped me,apart from morphine, was colour therapy. I found that a soft blue in a well lit environment helped a lot. I know it sounds a bit weird but it really seemed to help. I suffer from severe depression from time to time and are aware what helps.

Yes my daughter is a neat kid but is having a hard time at the mo with compliance. She has tried the "it's a waste of time me having insulin if i'm not going to eat my lunch" thing but i have already been through that myself so it doesn't wash but it is very trying. Its like i'm having my childhood all over again and it wasn't that flash the first time round! Still we just have to keep plodding along. As you know its a continual process.

Take care and we'll have to chat sometime

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello to you and your daughter! I may be somewhat unusual, but there are Type 1 diabetics who have lived with diabetes much longer than me. If you research William Rounds you will see he was diagnosed in 1923. He has been Type 1 for 86 years. There are others here in the USA who have been Type 1 longer than me.

I hope you and your daughter will also live long lives, hopefully free of any serious complications. Feel free to ask any questions you want. I hope you find the site useful and friendly.

Richard
Hi Richard

Thanks for your welcome. I hope that my daughter and I have long lives too. Sara has eye and kidney probs already, with the dr's wanting to put her on ACE inhibitors. She is only 9. She is rebelling hard right now. We all try to support her but everyone keeps telling her the old "if you don't do this, you'll end up with this chopped off or that". It really makes me cringe, as comments like that are not helpful at all, in fact probably harmful to a kid.

You are inspiring but as I have poloyneuropathy already, I'm doubtful as to whether I'll be as lucky as you! However, I try to remain on the positive side and teach my daughter that every day.

Keep in touch!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi and welcome! Love your move-forward attitude. That's got to be a good influence on your daughter.

I didn't join the T1 club 'til I was 53. But here I am - it was daunting at first. I know now that I'm in very good company.

Jen
Hi Jen

Thanx for your welcome. Yeah it's taken me a little while to join up but I've had diabetes since 1972 and there were only diabetic camps for us back then, glass syringes and Acetest strips that you peed on!!! I'm so glad that things are different now!

Keep in touch

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi Pam

Thank you for your welcome and the advice on the differences in tests. I take it that yoyu have type 2? yeah having neuropathy is a nuisance, at times downright painful but what helped me,apart from morphine, was colour therapy. I found that a soft blue in a well lit environment helped a lot. I know it sounds a bit weird but it really seemed to help. I suffer from severe depression from time to time and are aware what helps.

Yes my daughter is a neat kid but is having a hard time at the mo with compliance. She has tried the "it's a waste of time me having insulin if i'm not going to eat my lunch" thing but i have already been through that myself so it doesn't wash but it is very trying. Its like i'm having my childhood all over again and it wasn't that flash the first time round! Still we just have to keep plodding along. As you know its a continual process.

Take care and we'll have to chat sometime
Yes, I am Type 2. A bit unusual in that I was diagnosed at age 16 when I was still young and relatively fit. I have a very strong family history tho. My grandmother, mother and sister were all type 2 diabetics. My grandmother and sister were not over weight...only my mother was. SAys a lot for a genetic link to type 2..not just "bad habits". Just a lucky dip in the gene pool for me I guess :)

I am completely on board with color therapy. Also aroma therapy can work wonders.

Agreed...all you can do is offer your wisdom from experience and advice. You know kids...push them too hard one way to do something and they will do the complete opposite. She will work it out eventually :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

:welcome: I am sure you will find the forum a wealth of information and support. I am T2 and have both peripheral and autonomic neuropathy. I am being treated for the neuropathy and it helps some. Come and visit as often as you can!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello & Welcome to DF. :D I was diagnosed when I was 10YO at 1971 and I had the same glass syringes too as we boil them up and porcine insulins (Worthless as a wet prune :() and the portion diet and no sugar of any kind!!! and now I can have Anna, Aka Anna Pavlova. Yes I am a Balletomane. :eek: with a sweet tooth :p:D:rolleyes:

Oh how times have changed in the 39 Years of a Diabetic. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts