The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I have been looking in this forum for the past 3 weeks and have learning a lot and just decided to register myself in this forum.

3 weeks ago, I had a blood test and found out that i was diagnose with Type 2 diabetes. Test on 11.7 after 10 hours of fasting sugar and Vitamin D deficiency as well as Blood Pressure 140 / 98 and 137 / 97 at the Dr

I was very upset and devastated.. I couldn't believe myself being getting this chronic diseases coming from a ex army personnel. After moving to Australia, I have been eating a lot and put up 38kgs and most of the time sedentary after 11 yrs in AUS.

When I first heard the news, was upset and grieve over for around 2 weeks..

So i wasnt sure what should i eat and what shouldnt I eat... so i did a lot of reading the first few days and google a lot about my condition and I found this forum.. (Thank God!)

I have been very strict to myself on food and lost 8.5 kgs from the past 4 weeks... Been walking a lot as started from 2 kms walk a day and now 9 to 13 kms walk a day (2 to 3 hrs of walk per day)

Been totally cut off potatoes, Rice, Rice Noodle, Pasta, White bread...

Nowadays I been Eating a lot of Veg which I didn't use to eat before.. Eating more Fish like RAW Salmon and Tuna for dinner or snapper cook with veg in soup most of the time.

I am on DiaMicron MR 60mg twice a day without insulin.

I am trying to be able to live without meds and hopefully I can do it in 3 to 6 months time if i lose more weight.. Also I am on champix in quitting my 20 yrs smoking habit.

Blood Glucose Today tested:
====================

5.1 before breakfast.
5.3 before lunch.
4.3 before dinner
5.9 - 2 hours after dinner
all in mmol/L

I am looking forward to see my Diabetic Educator & Dietitians next week and going for a Stress Test for my heart. ( Prays!! :( )

Thanks to the Admins & Moderators who setup this forum & those who really share their experience in this.

I have learn a lot and looking forward in meeting you all!! :):):)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hey JT WELCOME WELCOME from the land up and over :) Calgary Canada. I am 8 months in 53 yrs type 2 dropped from 185 to 165 lbs currently on 750mg Metformin per day was also D deficient. Take like 4000 units per day. Still smoking a few cigars a day. Little ones. Also need to quit those. Anyways thats me. You sound like you got the right attitude and definitely on the right track. Again welcome
HBS

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks HBS and DB86 for the warm welcome!

I am trying my Best to quit smoking but it is so hard! Starting my champix next week and we shall see how it goes.

By the readings for my BS today was it ok or ?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Welcome to the DF JT! So many initials around here! :)
Your numbers looked really great that you posted from today. I wish I could obtain numbers like that just by cutting out carbs and walking! I eat very low carb, I do aerobic exercise 3-4 days a week for at least an hour each day, and I am on both Metformin and insulin (basal/bolus) and I still can't get numbers like that! Keep up the great work! Good luck on quitting the smokes however, I have not had much success with that either. :\

Reactions: JT.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Naynay, Thanks for the comments. I guess the strict diet without carbs and -soft drinks plus walking everyday does helps...( used to drink 2 to 3 litres coke or any soft drinks a day and never drinks plain water)

I was around 8.5 to 16 the first 1 to 2 weeks and now it had come down so quickly and My Doc is happy with my results when i visited him last week..

I can tell you that the first 2 - 3 weeks, I am always feeling dizzy and tired most of the time and starts to eat alot.. it wasnt easy at all to minus all kinds of my fav food.. the 4th week I was getting better and less more dizzy..

I actually thinks that I am happy to have this type 2 with me as life Challenge to have healthy eating habits, lose weight and quit smoking and be more confident.

How Ridiculous it sounds right? lol

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hi Naynay, Thanks for the comments. I guess the strict diet without carbs and -soft drinks plus walking everyday does helps...( used to drink 2 to 3 litres coke or any soft drinks a day and never drinks plain water)

I was around 8.5 to 16 the first 1 to 2 weeks and now it had come down so quickly and My Doc is happy with my results when i visited him last week..

I can tell you that the first 2 - 3 weeks, I am always feeling dizzy and tired most of the time and starts to eat alot.. it wasnt easy at all to minus all kinds of my fav food.. the 4th week I was getting better and less more dizzy..

I actually thinks that I am happy to have this type 2 with me as life Challenge to have healthy eating habits, lose weight and quit smoking and be more confident.

How Ridiculous it sounds right? lol
Welcome to the forum - and no, it doesn't sound ridiculous - we've all been there.

Between last August and February this year I lost about 30lbs in weight - by going low carb. The first week or so is the worst between "carb flu" and false hypos, so the good news is that the worst is over.

Stick with it, this disease isn't cureable - but it can be managed!

Well done on progress so far. John

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
JT, that does not sound ridiculous at all! Perhaps it was your wake up call from Above that you needed to curb your bad habits. Someone is looking out for you and wanted you to have a healthy happy long life! What you experienced in the first 2-3 weeks of giving up all the carbs is a withdrawal, and yes it sucks. However, once you are used to not eating the carbs that are extremely bad for you, it becomes second nature and you don't even miss them. I don't really miss eating all the "white" carbs at all. I realize now that they made me feel really crummy after eating them. I only try to eat one serving (15 g) or carb with each main meal (if that...sometimes I don't eat any). Of course the Nurse Practitioner wants me to eat 3 servings (45 grams) with each main meal. This is way too much for me, so I just let it go and do my own thing. I do follow a very strict diet however. Today was cottage cheese (1%) with some pineapple tidbits (about 1/2-3/4 cup cottage cheese with 2 tbspn pineapple) and coffee, and for lunch is a very simple salad (lettuce and shredded cheese) with some french dressing. That's it. Yet, my numbers will give me a hard time. Go figure!
You just keep doing what you are doing. Being a Type 2 Diabetic is not a death sentence; however it could just be a LIFE sentence (pun definitely intended here)!

·
Registered
718 Posts
You have a great attitude! Definitely, look at is as a chance to be as healthy as you can :)

I'm type 2, diagnosed a little over a year ago. Have been Insulin Resistant since my teens though. Lovely genes I have (thanks Grandma!). I eat low carb / high fat, or primal, whatever you want to call it, and am off all meds with an A1c of 5.2. As long I don't eat carbs, my numbers are normal, and I can even tolerate some amount of carbs with just a mild spike.

I know I've lost 30lbs for sure, but I'm smaller than I was then, so it's probably 50lbs total in the past year...my wedding rings are falling off, and my clothes are too big. Makes me feel good - and keeps me motivated!

Welcome!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Wow - I'm impressed! You really took hold, held on tightly, and did all the right things. You're a blueprint of what to do when one gets diagnosed - how does it feel to be a model citizen? :)

Yes, it's interesting how something so devastating can whip us into shape, or start the process at least.

Welcome to the forum - you're a great addition!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi! You really did grab hold and took over your life. Good to have you aboard. Good luck with the smoking....I have that tee shirt too! That's how the diagnosis (or not) hit me too. I've lost 50 lbs in the last year and pulled my BG down from 6.9 to 5.4 and with no meds, YET. That could change anytime I know.

Welcome aboard the ship you never wanted to board!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WoW!! so many replies!! I am SHOCK!! :eek:

Thank you John, naynay, wdmama, moon, Patdart, Shanny and everyone for Such a WARM Welcome and Kind words, I am therefore to STAY! :)

JT is actual initials for my name James Tan.. You can call me James or JT.. i dont mind.. I am Currently 37 and live in Australia with my GF, we been together for 12 yrs since 1999 when we know each other in Singapore. Both of us came here to study IT in Monash University and later.. We decided to stay (bad choice.. lol.. J/k)

I am lucky to be in the army where I learn and remember my training back those day (when i was 18 lol) and now i am slowly trying to put back those training in to use (as in execise) . Of course I couldn't do what I can do back to those younger days but i am taking it slowly as my breath holds. lol

This morning I had my BP on 110 /63 - heart rate 77 before i get off my bed

My blood glucose on 4.7 before breakfast. Breakfast 2 muesli bars (low sugar) 3g sugar per 100grams + Chinese Green tea

Went for 1+ hours of walk at 5 kms and came back and took my BS test again at 4.4

Just finish 2 slice of multi grain bread with thin slice roasted turkey and Chicken breast ham with olive spread + tomato + lettuce + avocado spread. + Coffee in black without sugar. I Will see how much it went up in 2 hrs.

(Yeah, I know my life is boring but i want to get my health right before the next blood test in 2 months time)

I am taking Flaxseed oil, Acai capsules, Swiss multi VITs and blackmores C 1000mg and Vit D.

Is there any thing i should not eat or take to improve my Diet?

Please Advise :)

Once again, Thanks to everyone to replies and giving those information. I really Appreciate it :)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
JT, the only comment I can make diet wise is to watch your BG after eating the bread you made your sandwich with. I can't eat bread much, in fact, rarely do I even try. Otherwise if the muesli bars don't bother you, sounds like you are doing well!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JT, the only comment I can make diet wise is to watch your BG after eating the bread you made your sandwich with. I can't eat bread much, in fact, rarely do I even try. Otherwise if the muesli bars don't bother you, sounds like you are doing well!
No wonder.. Sometimes it shoots fro 5.2 to 6.9 or 7 when i eat Multi bread or Muesli bars...

Thanks, I will take note of it..

PS: Man, I have learn SO MUCH IN 2 days!!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I can't eat bread much, in fact, rarely do I even try.
This is me too. I started out trying those little Orowheat rounds but that didn't work out. Then I went to sprouted grain bread. One slice every other day seemed okay, but sometimes would take me higher than I wanted to be so I always ate with a bit of trepidation.

Then I got low-carb tortillas, both a brand off the shelf and Mama Lupe's mail order. The only time I don't have to worry about them is when I have one loaded with cheese and fatty pizza toppings.

But in the end, I'm finding it not worth it to try and incorporate something I have to work so hard at. I'm enjoying not testing as much, knowing what I eat is safe for me, and leaving (mostly!) the rest.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Woke up at 4.6..

Having an Avocado sandwich + turkey + Olive spread! Going for a walk and see how high my numbers!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went back to the kennel today.. work from 11am till 11pm... clean all the kennels, play with dogs... did some accounts... saw my diabetes Educator and she said my Doc should shouldnt give me Diamicro 60 mg - 2 a day... I learn a few things like what is high GI and low GI foods.. She is pretty happy with my blood glucose spreadsheet and ask me to lose more weight.. She is also a type 2 diabetes and lose 60 kgs in 5 yrs and she is off from all meds.. I am going to see my GP soon and ask my GP to give me a different drug.. Here's todays BS readings! Oh... And i lost another Kg since last week.. 119.5 kgs now from 128.5 kgs (Since 28 Aug) YEAH!!

Blood Glucose
===========
26/09/2011 10:10 5.2 just woke up
26/09/2011 13:38 7.6 1 hour after lunch
26/09/2011 19:40 4.5 Before dinner
27/09/2011 0:38 5.6 Bed Time!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts