The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed in November 2008 with T2. Given Meds for BP, a statin and Metformin to add to a reflux med, I set about finding out how to make diabetes go away. I became a Bernstein follower and gave away all my Meds within 6 months, about 20 ks of weight in 12 months and understood that I get to keep the diabetes for life.
My goal is to maintain non-diabetic BGLs without medication for as long as possible, two years now. I am 59, live seaside with my second husband and two dogs. Most our large back garden is given over to raised bed, no dig veggie garden full of low carb veggies and berries. My second goal is to ensure that my three adult children have all the knowledge needed to prevent them becoming diabetic and thirdly to continue our early retirement adventures of travelling this big island in our caravan and attending music and dancing festivals.
I am also a long time volunteer firefighter, a patient volunteer for trainee doctors and a telephone counsellor with a national crisis line. Loving my life!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Those are quite some accomplishments, my hat is off to you. Hope you are teaching those trainee doctors a thing or two about diabetes.

I have a veggie garden every year, but am frustrated because when you find a plant that produces great, they stop selling it. For example, Bragger tomato and Bell Boy green pepper plants.

We look forward to hearing more about how you managed to deal so well with your diabetes, which I'm sure would be a great help to many. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome and Congrats on your amazing control. I also use Dr Bernsteins diet as a framework for my D management. I haven't been able to get off the metformin, though even though I weigh in at 120 or so. I have also given all my adult children the diabetes lecture. They don't seem to take me seriously, I guess it is part of youth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts