The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just found this site and thought I'd take a look around for a while. I'm 43 and have had Type I for 13 years. I'm a police officer and lead a pretty active lifestyle with my family and job. I recently changed from Humalog to Novolog/Lantus and am now prepping to goto a pump. I noticed in the change of injectable insulins how I feel better and haven't had a really low episode since changing (though I have also improved my diet and exercise routine). I'm looking for as much info on the pump as I can find. If anyone has either the Medtronic or Animas I'd be interested in your opinions. They both seem to have pluses & minuses.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Kevin.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Kevin, welcome aboard! It is great that you are doing well with your insulin. I have been Type 1 for 64 years and I am doing very well. I have been pumping with a Minimed pump for 30 months. It is a very good pump but it does not have some of the features that Animas does. The extra features on the Animas are not very important, but they are nice to have. You can change your basals by as little as 0.025 units on the Animas. That is useful for children who are very sensitive to insulin. Most adults do not need an increment that small. The smallest increment on the Minimed is 0.05 units, which is fine for me. You can program many different basal rates throughout the day with both pumps, but I think Minimed allows for more than Animas. That is one of the main reasons I started pumping. With programming like that you can eliminate any Dawn Phenomenon, if you have morning highs. The Animas has a program for calculating your standard deviation. My Minimed does not have that feature and I wish it did.

I don't know a lot about the Animas so I cannot say anything more about it. You can ask me as many questions as you want about the Minimed. You can Google both of these pumps and find more about them.

Good luck with your pumping experience! My pump has given me the best control I have ever had.

Richard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts