The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently diagnosed with diabetes - (2011). I have been collecting data via glucose testing monitoring and using other android applications on my Epic. I will be seeing my doctor in a few weeks to determine whether I am type 1 or 2.

The initial challenge of realizing that I am diabetic was where to go and start on the right path to wellness. The first thing I found after hours of researching, while dealing with the shock of it all after I suspected four years earlier, a Website to "Death to Diabetes" by DeWayne McCulley. It is not free; however, it is worth noting that this is coming from a guy who had first hand experience being a diabetic close to death. I have read parts of his eBook. He also provided some additional information at no cost, which I found very insightful. I am a college student on break now to get my health back under control. I am more of a numbers and data guy, which helps me determine what I read.

To be honest with you, I must admit that I am one of those people who are ignorant to the facts of having diabetes and the effects it has on our body. I have been doing some research since then and it has only been a few weeks that I have started on Metformin (oral pill - 500 mg - 2Xday).

Second, with the glucose testing monitor, I have been testing before/after meals and before bedtime since the last two days. I use the data to input into an android application called "OnTrack," which you can see report(s) and backup to the SD card. The intent here is to recognize the effects of eating and walking (one hour a day). The numbers are impressive.

Third, I use an android application called "MyHealthFitness" that helps me track the number of calories and nutritional information from its database @ each meal/snack. I know it seems alot to take in and it is not a normal thing for a human being to be doing on a daily basis.

Recognizing that diabetes is a serious illness, while preventable, it is helpful to begin going in the right direction to wellness and health. I love eating at McDonald's and when I downloaded their nutrition information on my pager in PDF format, I was shocked to see how high their calories & carbohydrates numbers are so I had to rethink about eating out at fast food restaurants. I have stopped eating their fries since my first visit to the doctor. What I recognize is that I can still eat some of their foods and drink my favorite unsweetened Mickey teas. Then burn off by walking for an hour. It seems to work well for me. I recognize that we are unique individuals and what works for one may not work for others.

The reason I am here at the Diabetes Forum is to read other people's experience with specific medications or other alternatives to avoid medication dependencies simply because the doctor says so. It is just my opinion that if a professional tells me to do something, it is best to get the whole picture and understand the reasoning behind the directive. At best, to be prepared for any potential side-effects of medications. I have no problem taking Metformin since my last visit, but I had to stop Simvastatin after two weeks of enduring neuropathy pains (feet mostly) with the OK from the doctor. I am supposed to have started on Lantus and Novolog. Yet, I cannot afford to spend about $500/month so I had to put that aside for now. I am not overly concerned since I have changed my eating habits, started walking, and collecting data that shows my numbers are down. Just not in control just yet. Just today, I just found out about the long term damage for any numbers greater than 125, which now makes sense why my doctor wanted me to start on these insulins. I have tried two different prescription discount companies that only reduced the cost by @ least $20.00. That is not enough savings to justify the time and effort. Be careful what you read and if it is too good to be true, it is most of the time.

That is all I have to share with you... I look forward to new experience in this forum.

Donald :cool:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Donald - welcome to DF. If you have the numbers used for your diagnosis (fasting glucose, A1c, etc.) and wouldn't mind sharing those with us, it would help us get a better picture of where you are. Would you also share if you've recently lost weight or have any weight to lose? What are the readings you've gotten on your meter these last couple of days? And then - do you know what tests your doc has in mind to confirm which type you are? You'll be needing a test for c-peptide as well as a test for GAD (glutamic acid decarboxylase) antibodies.

If it turns out you are type 1, there will be no choice but to go on insulin, and the sooner the better; this may be the reason your doctor wants you on insulin right now. DeWayne McCulley makes clear that he is targeting type 2 diabetics.

Mr. McCulley may market himself as an "ex-diabetic", but take my word for it - there is no such thing. He may be a well-controlled diabetic; he may be off all meds & not showing any symptoms, but he has NOT cured his diabetes. There is no cure.

When my kids were in college, it was possible to procure a basic medical insurance policy for enrolled students - if that is still possible, you might want to look into it, just in case it turns out you are type 1 or 1.5 (LADA). These are definite possibilities.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Donald. I do think it is a shock when most of us are diagnosed. I was very a very healthy vegetarian who exercised all the time when I was dx'd 4.5 years ago. It didn't take me too long to realise that diabetes is about the inability to process carbs. The carbs in processed fast food are the worst. You can do yourself a favor by not eating fast food. I found it really isn't about calories but the carbs. I actually eat more calories now than I did before diabetes. I have experimented with all sorts of carb levels to see which works the best. I now eat about 40 carbs per day and that seems to work best to keep bgs 100-110 range. Is Metformin the only drug you are on? Most pharmacies in stores have it for very cheap. My pharmacy Giant Eagle actually gives it for free. I know Target and Walmart offer it for $4 per month. As Shanny said all colleges offer some type of Medical Insurance you can buy into. Also if you are 26 or under you can still be included under your parent's policy.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi Donald,
I use the "On Track" also, isn't it great? If you wouldn't mind sharing your numbers with us, that would be great. Mind sound weird but I hope it is type 2 you have just because of the cost of insulin for you. That is a lot! WOW.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Hi, Donald. Welcome to the club no one ever wants to join, but it is a good one if you have to have one.

If you like books on Diabetes, you'll have to look far to best Dr. Richard Bernstein's THE DIABETES SOLUTION. Maybe check it out of the library and read it several times to absorb all the information he has.

Tell us more about your #'s and such, and we'll know more about you and your situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Donald,

I am not convinced diabetes is preventable in all cases. The jury is still out on that one. But... it is highly treatable.

Every diabetic is different in how they respond to carbs. You can eat anything you want, just be sure it is in the proper amounts for your own body's response to them. The only way to figure your own food response is to take blood sugar readings and monitor what you eat.

Know "your" body, it is about "you", each of us are different.

I know, that for me, potatoes are the worst thing I can eat. They might as well be a sugar IV. Like you I loooooove french fries, but now I know that if I choose that food, it must be in very small amounts and only very, very infrequently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: Welcome Donald

Greetings -

I apologize for not coming back to the forum in a long while. I was too focused on reading other information and using the android apps on my pager.

My doctor was very impressed with my outcome after only a month after confirmed diagnosis. Here is the following:

May 2011 - HgA1c = 13.9
Sept. 2011 - HgA1c = 9.6

August 2011 - avg glucose between 200 - 300.
September 2011 - avg glucose between 100 - 175.

I was not able to afford the insulin pens @ $500.00 / month.

What I did was use the MyFitnessPal android app and monitored my carbs and sodium intake. I found both of them to be challenging given the cost of organic foods whereas some canned foods are typically high in sodium.

Second, I did one week of eight glucose monitor tests, before and after each meal and before/after bedtime to see how my numbers were based on my food intake and physical activities. I did and still do have some good/bad days, especially where neuropathy pains are concerned. After the doctor visit, she changed for me to do glucose test twice a day instead of four times. The frustrating part is that my fingers have callus buildup where some parts are hard to prick with the lancet device.

Third, I started doing at least one hour power walk in the evenings especially after supper. I noticed that my walking speeds and breathing seemed to improve over time. I almost did it daily until the days where my neuropathy pains are greater, I took a day or two rest. Weight loss is gradual, which I want so that I do not end up gaining more weight plus some from past experience. I am happy to say that I am below the target weight that I had maintained for many years so I know that I am going in the right direction.

Fourth, after reading the book by Shane Ellison, which I am still not done, I have taken his suggestions for some supplements. So far, I am still taking them and I know that it is working. Otherwise, my glucose numbers and overall health are improving. I learned that diabetes is for life and we have to manage our health to avoid additional complications. I had hoped that my neuropathy pains would subside and be gone forever; however, it seems that the damage is done and I will know more in the next few months. Just remember, I just started in August until today still making adjustments. I have not had any need for ibuprofen aspirins (almost two to four [500 mg] daily) since my headaches has stopped. Twice that I can remember, I just drank more water and not unsweetened tea for a few days. I have drank more water at least 18 cups a day since August. I have no problem with my kidneys - thank goodness. I can go several hours without the need for urination.

Last, I am not here to boast myself as a success. When my doctor pissed me off by her facial expression showing doubt when I vowed to get off the insulin and hopefully Metformin, I was more determined than ever to make the change. I am a numbers guy and when the numbers make sense to me and the advice follows logic, then I am going to keep going that route.

By the way, the last visit, I forgot to mentioned that I told my doctor how I felt about the previous visit. Before the appointment, I attended the "Managing Your Diabetes" a self-management education program and saw three people, two were morbid obese, and one was very thin. Their attitudes when asked how they would rate themselves to their confidence, I was the only one who stated "10." It was then when I realized that my doctor has seen too many patients who did not fight as much as I did. She confirmed my question and I told her that I would suggest that she refrain from showing any negativity to any patients, especially when s/he finds out about being a diabetic. For me, it was an overwhelming experience!

Do I regret my actions of my past? Yes and no. There is no point looking back except to improve my chances of maintaining my overall health and cope with the pains without relying on pain meds. It is challenging to try and figure out how to stop the pain and what brought it on. It is even worse when it is bed time. I am no stranger to pain, as I had endured carpal tunnel syndrome for which I had surgery done on one hand. No one should ever have to endure any type of pain. I tell my daughters that pain is a reminder of life and living with gravity. Discovering the fact that I am a diabetic has caused me to change my ways to eliminate most unhealthy foods. Water is now my best friend for life! I know that it works because I do not have the desire to buy so much junk food as I had done in the past. The nutrition information is very helpful especially when you realized how many carbs you had digested based on the actual serving size!

Now I am an educator and advocate to my friends to share with them my experience. Yes, I have put college on hold for the last six months. I am not sure that I am ready to go back because I had endured a painful neuropathy pain after sitting on the office chair for many hours just that one day for the first time. When I do my power walk, I feel less pain that I can keep walking for hours if I want. An hour and fifteen maximum seems to suffice for anywhere between 3.5 - 4.5 miles. I wear my Heart Rate Monitor with built-in pedometer on my wrist, where you can get one at Wal-Mart for $40.00. It is well worth the expense.

I will come back to this forum again. I have to get going now that my legs are starting to hurt. I hope that I have helped some of you to re-consider other alternatives to know that physical activities and water do help in the long run, of course, with the advice of your doctor.

Have a pleasant day/night.

Sincerely,
Donald ;)

Hello Donald - welcome to DF. If you have the numbers used for your diagnosis (fasting glucose, A1c, etc.) and wouldn't mind sharing those with us, it would help us get a better picture of where you are. Would you also share if you've recently lost weight or have any weight to lose? What are the readings you've gotten on your meter these last couple of days? And then - do you know what tests your doc has in mind to confirm which type you are? You'll be needing a test for c-peptide as well as a test for GAD (glutamic acid decarboxylase) antibodies.

If it turns out you are type 1, there will be no choice but to go on insulin, and the sooner the better; this may be the reason your doctor wants you on insulin right now. DeWayne McCulley makes clear that he is targeting type 2 diabetics.

Mr. McCulley may market himself as an "ex-diabetic", but take my word for it - there is no such thing. He may be a well-controlled diabetic; he may be off all meds & not showing any symptoms, but he has NOT cured his diabetes. There is no cure.

When my kids were in college, it was possible to procure a basic medical insurance policy for enrolled students - if that is still possible, you might want to look into it, just in case it turns out you are type 1 or 1.5 (LADA). These are definite possibilities.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JP -

You are right about potatoes. I was surprised to see how my glucose monitor test spiked to high levels after two hours of eating. Second, it is how the potatoes are cooked. If you look at three different brands of potatoes, they all show 26 g. carbs. while potassium is 620 mg. What shocked me was when I looked at McDonald's Nutrition information that you can download under 'Nutrition Information' on their Website or look on the back of the paper on food tray and a medium fries are 48 g. with a whopping 270 mg of sodium. When adding another menu, you are already over your limit for carbs for one meal. I used to love eating Big Breakfast with hot cakes - Not any more - 111 g. carbs and 2150 mg. sodium! The calories are a whopping 1090 g. When I found out that even though these breakfast are as affordable and fulfilling, the end result is not worth it. So I cook my own breakfast or eat cereal instead.

When my wife wants french fries, I will have a small portion just to satisfy my taste buds. It is OK to eat french fries once in a great while. It is still hard for me to believe that potato is a vegetable. Grin.

Have a pleasant day. I wish you in good health.

Donald ;)

Hi Donald,

I am not convinced diabetes is preventable in all cases. The jury is still out on that one. But... it is highly treatable.

Every diabetic is different in how they respond to carbs. You can eat anything you want, just be sure it is in the proper amounts for your own body's response to them. The only way to figure your own food response is to take blood sugar readings and monitor what you eat.

Know "your" body, it is about "you", each of us are different.

I know, that for me, potatoes are the worst thing I can eat. They might as well be a sugar IV. Like you I loooooove french fries, but now I know that if I choose that food, it must be in very small amounts and only very, very infrequently.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i wouldnt eat mcdonalds if you paid me.

Reactions: Dura and d33na

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL. Everyone has their opinion and choices. My favorite thing about McDonald's are Mickey unsweetened tea and fruit&yogurt parfait. Everything else, I have to be very selective to keep my carbs and sodium intake down. Meal deals are not a great deal anymore so it is easy to avoid french fries.

If I paid you, I would suggest healthy choices when you are traveling or away from home. ;)

Donald

i wouldnt eat mcdonalds if you paid me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts