The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My name is Evan. I am a 31 year old dude from southern Wisconsin, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 12 years ago during my Freshman year of college. :mad:

My control has been pretty average the past 12 years. My last A1C was still much to high for my liking at 7.7, but I got the greatest gift of the last 12 years two weeks ago when I started on my insulin pump! Best part was it was FREE! (Thank you ridiculously awesome health insurance plan!) My blood sugar readings have been amazing...near perfect...ever since starting on the pump. I'm looking forward to my next A1C in June! Woot!

I work as a Network/System Administrator at a bank and enjoy working out, Packers football, Brewers baseball, fixing computers, listening to music and I am a big-time movie geek.

That's all I got for now!

Thank you for reading. :D And see ya around.

·
Registered
716 Posts
ecal said:
Hello!

My name is Evan. I am a 31 year old dude from southern Wisconsin, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 12 years ago during my Freshman year of college. :mad:

My control has been pretty average the past 12 years. My last A1C was still much to high for my liking at 7.7, but I got the greatest gift of the last 12 years two weeks ago when I started on my insulin pump! Best part was it was FREE! (Thank you ridiculously awesome health insurance plan!) My blood sugar readings have been amazing...near perfect...ever since starting on the pump. I'm looking forward to my next A1C in June! Woot!

I work as a Network/System Administrator at a bank and enjoy working out, Packers football, Brewers baseball, fixing computers, listening to music and I am a big-time movie geek.

That's all I got for now!

Thank you for reading. :D And see ya around.
Hi Evan names Michael what's an A1C.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Evan names Michael what's an A1C.
Hemoglobin A1C is a blood test that shows a 2-3 month average of blood glucose control by testing the 'hemoglobin' which is found in red blood cells in your body. Over time, sugars attach to the hemoglobin and the hemoglobin becomes 'glycated'. To make a long story short, red blood cells are constantly dying and new ones are being born. These cells have a typical life of 120 days, so by testing a large amount of red blood cells and looking at how 'glycated' the hemoglobin is, it gives an average 'glycation' amount and can give an idea of how well blood sugars are being controlled over those 120 days.

When you test your blood sugar using your meter, it will tell you how you are doing that second with your diabetes management, but an A1C tells you how well you are doing overall with your treatment.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, ecal. I like movies too, but since I'm an old fart, I like the 'classics' (many of which were made before you were born) like African Queen and the original Miracle Worker. Welcome, glad to have you with us.

G

·
welcome Evan :) what a relief that you've found something that works well for you. I'm sure you will notice a difference with your next HbA1c test. I love my aussie rules football which is a different game to your grid iron there. I'm not that old, but I love movie classics. I'm sure you will find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, ecal. I like movies too, but since I'm an old fart, I like the 'classics' (many of which were made before you were born) like African Queen and the original Miracle Worker. Welcome, glad to have you with us.
Wow. That's weird, I just watched the Miracle Worker yesterday! I mainly stick to the classics as well. Casablanca is my favorite. The vast majority of movies today just do not compare.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Evan, welcome to Diabetes Forum! You are experienced with your diabetes, and your pump should reduce your A1c considerably, but take it easy and be patient. Learn as much as possible about pumping . I hope you have a good trainer. The book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh is an excellent source of information. If you have any problems you can ask them here. There are several pumpers on board.

Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts