The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with type 2 about 10 years ago. Did over 2 years of good control with diet only, now on maximum dose of Metformin and my dawn phenomenom blood sugar is too high. It's pretty frustrating to follow a good diet, have a 108 after dinner blood sugar reading, eat nothing else before bedtime, and wake up with a 130 reading!

My next experiment involves eating a bedtime snack, with protein, in case it is a rebound high. I think that will be easier than trying to get a 3AM reading, although I will do that, too.

I follow a strange synthesis of the Traditional Foods diet and a glycemic index diet.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Cathyy! Thank you for joining us. I and others here share your exasperation with dawn phenomenon. Just last night I ate a deviled egg shortly before bed, and hit my lowest fasting of the week this morning. If only I could make it work every night!

Tell us more about your diet - it sounds right up my alley - cookin' from scratch with old-fashioned whole foods. I don't have much knowledge of the glycemic index - I just don't eat carbs much, except for high-fiber veggies. If you have some killer recipes, don't hesitate to post 'em on our recipes board! :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tell us more about your diet - it sounds right up my alley - cookin' from scratch with old-fashioned whole foods. I don't have much knowledge of the glycemic index - I just don't eat carbs much, except for high-fiber veggies. If you have some killer recipes, don't hesitate to post 'em on our recipes board! :D
Well, for starters, I use butter and coconut oil as my fats, and I don't strictly limit them. I don't eat "low-fat." And, curiously, ever since I went to eating saturated fats my arthritis hasn't bothered me - arthritis that was advanced enough to observe on x-ray over 25 years ago, when I was about 30.

I eat full-fat dairy, too. Whole milk, cottage cheese, and half and half for my coffee, all from hormone and antibiotic free cows at a local dairy that - gasp! - actually still does home delivery.

I eat a lot of veggies, mostly fresh in season. I eat commercial canned veggies in the winter, as my Sweetie hates frozen veggies. I eat all the fresh fruit I want.

I grind my own hard white wheat for what little baking I allow myself. I am currently experimenting with buckwheat flour, due to its low glycemic index. Tonight's Peach-Walnut coffeecake was not a winner, too strong a buckwheat flavor. :(

I have found that I simply cannot eat potatoes or rice, even in small quantities, and bread only very occasionally, even pumpernickel.

There are a number of Traditional Foods websites out there. I link to some of what I consider to be the best on my blog. It's on my profile; I won't link because linking to one's own website first thing on a forum is tacky.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I was diagnosed with type 2 about 10 years ago. Did over 2 years of good control with diet only, now on maximum dose of Metformin and my dawn phenomenom blood sugar is too high. It's pretty frustrating to follow a good diet, have a 108 after dinner blood sugar reading, eat nothing else before bedtime, and wake up with a 130 reading!

My next experiment involves eating a bedtime snack, with protein, in case it is a rebound high. I think that will be easier than trying to get a 3AM reading, although I will do that, too.

I follow a strange synthesis of the Traditional Foods diet and a glycemic index diet.
Hello and welcome to the forum! I have had T2 for over 10 1/2 years and only made it to year 5 on Glipizide and diet and exercise. I then needed to go on insulin. On most days I am able to get a 85-100 fasting reading. Good luck with your experiment!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Oh yeah - this is my kinda food! heheh!

I'm still using the old Better Homes & Gardens cookbook my mom gave me the first time I got married back in 1966, and I have the White House cookbook that belonged to my grandmother - copyrighted in 1887, reprinted in 1913.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, no bedtime snack last night. Blood sugar was 119 2 hours after lunch, 1 hour after a commercial bakery cookie. At 3:30 AM my blood sugar was 104; at %AM it was 120. It was still 120 when I got up at almost 8AM. This looks more like Somogyi, or rebound, to me than dawn phenomenon. I will continue testing at about 3AM to see if there is a pattern. Also I will start getting a reading when I go to bed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts