The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 51 year old male from Pennsylvania. Been diagnosed for about 3 years now. I take Metformin and Amaryl, along with Byetta. My endocrinologist has cut my Amaryl back substantially in the last month.

Since being on Byetta the past 2 months, I have lost almost 30 pounds, without exercising. I'm down to about 270, but need to lose at least 10-20 more.

I'm having trouble figuring out my variance in numbers. I test 4 times each day, and my daily average is 109 over the past 2 months. But some of my numbers vary widely from day to day, even though the average continues to drop lower.

Glad to join the discussion!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
And we're glad to have you.

You don't mention your way-of-eating, but what you eat can have the biggest effect on your numbers. Give us some idea of what foods you're eating.

Have you had any side effects with the Byetta?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'm a 51 year old male from Pennsylvania. Been diagnosed for about 3 years now. I take Metformin and Amaryl, along with Byetta. My endocrinologist has cut my Amaryl back substantially in the last month.

Since being on Byetta the past 2 months, I have lost almost 30 pounds, without exercising. I'm down to about 270, but need to lose at least 10-20 more.

I'm having trouble figuring out my variance in numbers. I test 4 times each day, and my daily average is 109 over the past 2 months. But some of my numbers vary widely from day to day, even though the average continues to drop lower.

Glad to join the discussion!
Hello sackosuds and :welcome: to the forum! Come on in and make yourself comfortable :couch2: There is a wealth of information on here, read what interests you. If you can't find what you are looking for, just do a search. I hope you are able to visit often and take care.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You don't mention your way-of-eating, but what you eat can have the biggest effect on your numbers. Give us some idea of what foods you're eating.

I try to limit my carbs as much as possible, go with whole grains as much as I can, try to limit saturated fats and refined sugars, and generally try to eat fresh as much as I can. I've found that the food really is the culprit, except for heavy carbs like pasta a bread. My lack of exercise is the biggest issue right now, even with the substantial weight loss.

Have you had any side effects with the Byetta?

Fortunately, no. When I changed doses from 5mcg to 10mcg I did get a little nausea for a day or two, but that has passed. I don't have any other side effects from it, and really feel pretty good. It's just hard to tell if that is from the Byetta or the weight loss. Either way, I'm not complaining!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Any carbs, even whole grains, will raise your blood sugar. There are a ton of "healthy" foods that aren't good for diabetics. Bread, fruit, pasta, milk, rice, etc. Hopefully some of the other Type 2s on here can be of more help.
Welcome and I hope you visit often.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: to the forums!

As Joshua pointed out, all carbs will raise your BG levels, even if whole grains. Some digest slower than others, and that helps, but it still becomes glucose no matter what.

I've now cut my carbs down to 100-120g on an average day, which is fairly low considering today I'll be eating ~2,500-3,000 calories in total. I get roughly 16-17% of my daily calories from carbohydrates now, and my sugars are better than they've ever been, and I still have the energy to work out, etc.

Of course, we're all different. The best advice I received was from this forum.... "eat to your meter". IE: Eat, test, and determine if that food is something you should have in your regular diet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
165 Posts
hi are yopu tracking your food and tests? might help figuring out what foods are a problem for you

G

·
welcome sackosuds :) everyone is certainly different and what works for some won't work for others. But it sounds to me like you're doing Ok and you are tracking your BGLs. I'm a person that needs to eat carbs, but I stick to wholegrain stuff mostly. Look forward to hearing your experiences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts