The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Scott, and I'm a diabetic. Is that how we're supposed to start this? :p

I never considered exchanging experiences and ideas about diabetes on the web, but what the heck. Maybe I'll learn something new.

I've had diabetes for about 18-years, but I've had health problems since I was 6 - it started with thyroid disease. About 9-years ago, I had a heart attack and angioplasty with three stints. Four years later, another heart attack almost killed me - angioplasty and three more stints.

With the help of my wonderful wife, I have been doing everything I can to fight this. Maybe I'll learn more ways to fight here. Here's hoping.

Scott

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi There Scott: :)

Welcome to our Forum. Yes, that's about how People start their intro. Good job. :D

I'm sorry to hear about your heart attacks in the first place and again for so soon after being diagnosed. That is Great of your Wife to take part in your Diabetes care. I'd be curious about your last Cholesterol, Blood Pressure and A1c numbers. There's much information here about Diabetes. If you have any specific questions or comments, feel free to ask them or add your comments.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
(Sorry about that. ;) :D )

Hi Scott:

It's sounds like you are doing pretty Good in all categories. Way to go.

I eat a handful of almonds or walnuts(just a handful since walnuts are fattening)
everyday to help keep my cholesterol in check and usually 3 cups of tea a day for the lipids also.

My blood pressure is normally in the Good range. You have the same A1c that I have.

As far as the medic Alert bracelets, I've put the link for them and other sites that was in the Other Subjects section, into my answer to your Medic Alert question. If those aren't satisfactory, then most department stores sell stainless steel bracelets with the medical emblem on them at decent prices. They may have an engraver at the same store that wouldn't charge much to put your conditions on the back of the bracelet plate.

Richard has also put some links for you to view in the Medic thread that you created.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome Scott...

Sorry to hear about your heart attacks.. I am fairly new here and new to this disease(less than a yr).. Glad to hear that you have a supportive wife.. and you will find some really good people here who will help you through many different things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome Scott...

Sorry to hear about your heart attacks.. I am fairly new here and new to this disease(less than a yr).. Glad to hear that you have a supportive wife.. and you will find some really good people here who will help you through many different things.
Hi MissMeg,

Less than a year? I'm sorry that you had to join us, but I'm glad you came here for support. :)

Take good care of yourself. This disease can be conquered.

All the best,
Scott

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi MissMeg,

Less than a year? I'm sorry that you had to join us, but I'm glad you came here for support. :)

Take good care of yourself. This disease can be conquered.

All the best,
Scott
Awww don't be sorry.. It has actually been an eye opener for the last year.. made me re-think life a bit more and maybe this was one of those things that makes you realize things need to change!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awww don't be sorry.. It has actually been an eye opener for the last year.. made me re-think life a bit more and maybe this was one of those things that makes you realize things need to change!!!
Well said! When I was first diagnosed, they didn't know anywhere near as much as they know now. And nobody told me to count carbs back then either! I sure wish I had known then what I know now. Such is life, huh?

Unfortunately, my big lifestyle/habits change came with my first heart attack. Now I know what to avoid, and both my wife and I read about ways to stay on top of it every day.

Just listen to your doctor, read all of the ingredients on the labels, exercise and avoid stress. Well... that's simplifying it a bit, but it's a good start. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts