The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm Richard, I live in Virginia in the USA. I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 1 year old. I'm 25 now. I've just recently started getting interested in joining the diabetes community, so here I am.

Hmm..... what else? I'm 6'3" 208lbs (just down from 217 :D)

I'm looking at getting a Dexcom followed by a pump.... I'm thinking Omnipod, as I do not want any type of tubing attached (not with the type of work I do).

I sure wish I knew they had CGMs out.... my heart kind of sank when I seen so many people already using them (online), I felt kind of neglected having never even having had one suggested by my endo.

Well..... here's to some good discussions hopefully.... *waves*

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, Denedil. Your post looks so lonely here without any replies, so I'll be the first to say hello. Sorry but I don't know anything about type 1 or the meds you mentioned, or pumps, so I can't be one of those who starts a good discussion with you, but I'm sure some type 1's will happen along who can. Glad you found us and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Yes, HI! Don't give up, we've got some really knowledgeable folks on this list who will answer soon, I'm sure. Sorry (or not really) I can't help out, but I'm really glad to meet you.

Good luck,

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hello everyone, I'm Richard, I live in Virginia in the USA. I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 1 year old. I'm 25 now. I've just recently started getting interested in joining the diabetes community, so here I am.

Hmm..... what else? I'm 6'3" 208lbs (just down from 217 :D)

I'm looking at getting a Dexcom followed by a pump.... I'm thinking Omnipod, as I do not want any type of tubing attached (not with the type of work I do).

I sure wish I knew they had CGMs out.... my heart kind of sank when I seen so many people already using them (online), I felt kind of neglected having never even having had one suggested by my endo.

Well..... here's to some good discussions hopefully.... *waves*
Hi Richard and welcome to the site. Glad you decided to join:D.
This really is a good place for not only information but friendships as well.
Now all you need is a month vacation in Hawaii:plane:.

Gene

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Richard, you and I have the same first name. There is another new member here from VA, and he is the same age as you. You should look at his introduction called "Hello From VA".

I used the Dexcom for 8 months last year, but had to stop when my insurance no longer covered it. It is much too expensive for me if there is no coverage. A CGM is great at times, but also gives many false readings. It can alarm and tell you you are very high, or low, and when you test with your glucose meter you can find the CGM is giving you false information. Some people seem to have much better luck with them though. The Dexcom seems to be the best CGM available at the present time, but don't expect it to be reliable all the time.

I have been type 1 for 65 years, and am very healthy. We can have long, healthy lives if we take good care of ourselves.

Richard

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Richard. (It's a great name isn't it? ;)) Nice to see someone with so many years behind them along with T1, still doing well. That does improve my outlook some.

Regarding the Dexcom..... I am still seeing how much my insurance will cover.... so kind of a hope more than a certainty that I will get one at this point. I was really wanting one for two reasons..... seeing my trends (and more cause and effect at a glance).
As well as I am finding the more my readings are closer to where they should be, the more I am unaware when it dips down. So far I have never *not* woken up from a low during all my years with T1, but I guess I am fearing that being a possibility the more I am close to that threshold.

Thanks for the greeting everybody else who responded too :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts