The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Obviously I'm new here and freshly diagnosed with diabetes.

This whole journey started out with me being (what I, and everyone else thought) a hypochondriac. For the past 2-3 years, I started noticing that certain foods would trigger symptoms for me. These symptoms would include skin rashes on my thighs, dizziness, stomach upset, and just a general sense of not feeling well. Up until about two months ago, I assumed it was a food allergy. I tried eliminating dairy. Helped some of the time, but didn't help others. I tried eliminating breads. Helped much of the time, but didn't help other times. I tried eliminating gluten. Again, sometimes it helped, not always though. My last stab in the dark was with sugar. I noticed that of all the foods I had tried eliminating, stopping sugar helped the most. But it still wasn't 100% of the time working to alleviate my symptoms.

By chance, I happened upon a website showing the symptoms of diabetes. To my amazement, the symptoms lined up pretty well with mine. "No way" I thought. But the idea stuck in my head, enough for me to buy a glucose meter from the pharmacy. I read up on fasting glucose readings, the 1- and 2-hour tests, etc. The next morning, on an empty stomach of course, my reading was 135. I took it again, to make sure I was doing it right. I ate my normal breakfast of eggs and toast. 1 and 2 hours after, my readings all showed in the diabetic range. I immediately made an appointment with my general practitioner.

My GP doctor of course ordered the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT). My 1, 2, and 3 hour readings were all in the 200+ range, with the 2 hour test scraping 300.

I am now waiting to see a highly respected endocrinologist/diabetes center here in South Florida (there was about a 6 week wait) and that appointment is in early October. I will hopefully find out if I am Type 1, 1.5, or 2, and find out exactly what is going on.

Not being one to sit around and continue to poison myself, I am continuously trying to manipulate my diet, while of course taking several readings throughout the day.

To get a little introspective, I never would have guessed I'd have this condition. I have always been an athlete, in good shape. I lift weights and do cardio at 4-5 times per week. I run 5ks and 10ks. Even before my diagnosis, I ate pretty healthy. I've never even been a big fan of sweets and sugar (okay, ice cream is [was] an occasional weakness!). Ironically, I am like a poster-child for how to avoid getting Type 2 diabetes!

I think the factor that "did me in" with diabetes was good old fashioned DNA. I have since learned that diabetes is rampant on my mom's side (I don't really know that side of the family) and apparently a few now-deceased people on my dad's side had diabetes. So I have it coming from both sides!

While I was bummed about having this condition, I am glad that there are so many resources and communities (like this one!) for people living with this disease.

Thanks for reading!

Some vitals on myself:
Sex: Male
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Height/Weight: 6'2" 175 lbs

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm glad to see you're being tested for type 1 or LADA (type 1.5) . . . your age & level of activity seems a little outta sync with type 2.

Sorry you'll be joining the "D" club, but happy you found our forum! ;)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I would think your family doctor could run a C Peptide and a GAD 65 antbody test to see if you are LADA or Type 1. Because of your age and fitness, that would be my bet. But there are a lot of Type 2's who are also athletic, had a healthy diet and were not overweight. Sometimes it just happens. I happened to be the first in a very large family to get diabetes. I guess I drew the short straw. Read through the old thread and get lots of good info. Glad you found us.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Sorry to hear you have it.

This is a good place with good people to share

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, and welcome! Your research and experiments with foods has paid off. Very few people talk about having done that prior to their diagnosis. Did your doctor call you a hypochondriac? I have read people posting that their doctors did that and refused to test them for diabetes. Then they went to a second doctor, usually an endocrinologist, and the diagnosis was made. It seems to me that you are mentally prepared for this, and I think you will do a very good job at taking good care of yourself. You should have a long, healthy life with your diabetes, no matter what type it is. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy.

Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts