The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our family loves this salad. We add bread sticks to make a light dinner.

6 (4 ounce) skinned,boned chicken breast halves
1/2 cup unsweetened orange juice
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
Vegetable cooking spray
6 cups torn red leaf lettuce
2 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned
1 1/2 cups halved red grapes

Place chicken in large plastic zip-top bag. Combine orange juice,honey and soy sauce, stirring well, Divide orange juice mixture in half, set aside half in refrigerator. Pour remaining mixture in a bag with chicken. Seal bag and shake chicken until coated. Marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.

Remove chicken from bag, discarding marinade. Spray grill with cooking spray, place chicken on grill over medium high heat. Grill chicken, covered 5 minutes on each side until done. Slice chicken into thin slices.

Combine lettuce, oranges and grapes tossing lightly. Arrange chicken on top. Drizzle reserved orange juice mixture evenly over salad.

Calories 219, Fat 3.4 g, Protein 27.4 g, Carbs 20.1 g, Cholesterol 72 mg, Sodium 110

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
A little carby for me, but I have had similar chicken salad with oranges, grapes, I couldn't seem to eat enough of it, it was so good.

·
Registered
204 Posts
breadsticks, orange juice, honey, grapes and orange slices? there's NO WAY i could eat this. out of curiousity - what is a serving? i'm surprised that many carb items have 20 grams of carbs per serving. i would expect that to be quite a bit more. there's almost 70 grams of carbs in just the honey!!!

prior to dx i would have loved this - can't eat it now.

now it would look more like :

add cheese
some more cheese
saute chicken thighs in coconut oil
add almonds
add homemade mayo
add some mustard
chop up some herbs
and some more cheese

:D

welcome to the forum, btw :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Nancy. Have you check your blood sugar after eating this salad? It sounds really splendid, but one serving of it exceeds my entire day's worth of carbs. I thought maybe the calculations were off, so I ran it through NutritionData (see image), and I think the serving size would be just over 1 cup.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Sounds really good, but as has been said, too carby for me. Reminds me of one I tried some years ago that was on the LLBean catalogue. Glad you can eat it. It would take all my carbs for one day, so I'll pass, but thank you for thinking of us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts