The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay So Monday is day 1 for LC/HF meal plan. need to grocery shop on Saturday. What will I need on my list??
eggs
High fat cheese
Butter
cream
meat
veggies.....Which are best?
fruit??
What else....?????

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Look for high-fiber vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, etc.

Be careful about fruits - they have a lot of natural sugar & will prob'ly spike you. The only fruits I eat are avocados by the ton, and tomatoes sparingly.

I use canned fish like salmon & tuna - I also use smoked oysters in a dip that is great as a snack.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Look for high-fiber vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, etc.

Be careful about fruits - they have a lot of natural sugar & will prob'ly spike you. The only fruits I eat are avocados by the ton, and tomatoes sparingly.

I use canned fish like salmon & tuna - I also use smoked oysters in a dip that is great as a snack.
I didn't know avocados were considered a fruit? Go figure! I love avocados....I have a really great recipe for guacamole. Perhaps I'll post in the recipe section. I like to eat it with celery, but I may just buy a bag of pork rinds and try that instead of tortilla chips or pita chips.

I really have to look up your recipe for that smoked oyster dip that you make. It sounds delicious! It is posted right?

I love tuna...could eat it everyday!

·
Registered
741 Posts
rhubarb is a high fibre low carb fruit...I use it for sweets and savoury...chop it up and add a tiny bit of water and NUKE it for 10 minutes...it works as a chutney for meat or add sweetener and have it with whipped cream for desert...

Reactions: MsTCB and Patdart

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/5753-smoked-oyster-dip.html#post46023

smoked salmon spread

Guacamole from scratch is the best option - boughten dip is likely to have carby thickeners & other additives. I think we have a thread on guacamole from scratch with many posts of different versions.

I didn't know avocados were considered a fruit? Go figure! I love avocados....I have a really great recipe for guacamole. Perhaps I'll post in the recipe section. I like to eat it with celery, but I may just buy a bag of pork rinds and try that instead of tortilla chips or pita chips.

I really have to look up your recipe for that smoked oyster dip that you make. It sounds delicious! It is posted right?

I love tuna...could eat it everyday!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is coconut sugar okay as a sweetener?I think it may have carbs though.I found it at Winner's ( Canadian TJ maxx) Half the price as in the health food stores. Also known as coconut sap.Tastes like brown sugar.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nuts, lots of nuts. Great snack.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I love winners but I'm not sure about coconut sugar, I use splenda, it doesn't raise my bg's.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Nuts, lots of nuts. Great snack.
Almonds (plain) seem to be the best macronutrient-wise. Peanuts and Cashews seem to naturally have more carbohydrate, so I base my 'nut-snacks' around almonds...

My "go-to" veggies are carrots (not too many, they've more natural sugar than some veggies), broccoli and cauliflower - they are nice in a stir-fry/sautee... broccoli and cauliflower are also great with cheese sauces or as part of a casserole with cheese, bacon, etc.

I've personally started trying to get more organic/natural meats: Grass-fed beef, free-range chicken, that sort of thing. I found a nice place to buy nitrate-free bacon... it's more expensive, but worth it IF you can afford it. If not, it's not a deal-breaker - but do your best where you can.

Just don't buy any processed meat. Sausage from your butcher may be OK, but stuff like sausage, hot-dogs, bologna,etc. from mass-produced-processed-meat companies is kinda scary. Stick with real beef, pork, chicken, lamb, etc., wherever possible.

Oh, my new trick is steak with BUTTER. I don't know why I didn't do it before, but it's fantastic to use butter as the oil on your grill, and melt a dollop on top of the steak as it finishes cooking and resting before serving. Nom.

As was said, watch it with fruit - I usually have berries as my fruit - lots of antioxidants, low-GI and lots of fiber. That being said I usually only have 1/4C to 1/2C at a time, max. And generally only once a day. I will also have 1/2 a granny smith apple, and rhubarb as mentioned is good too. (Dip the other half of the apple in lemon juice to prevent it browning, eat it another day).

If you're into baking you may also want some almond flour/almond meal... maybe coconut flour, flax meal, etc. Check out the forum recipe sections to see what you might like, and grab ingredients for it...

I like low-carb pancakes sometimes SLATHERED in butter with some Walden-Farms no-sugar maple syrup and a strip of bacon and a scrambled egg... Great breakfast that seems like carbs, but isn't!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Almonds seem to drop my BG. Does that seem to happen to anyone else. Not like a scary drop but healthy drop. I snack on them while cooking and keeps me from nibbling.
I get the plain pumpkin purée. Add sweetener, cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, dash of salt and of course cream cheese. 1/2cup = 10 carbs. Sometimes, I add pecans for a crunch.
I am in love with the sugar free syrups. I just wish our small town had more than 4choices. I would like to try the coconut and lemon. I can't use any of the extracts because of the alcohol. I can have no alcohol because of the way my pancreas was injured. I looked at some of the lemon yesterday and it was 83% alcohol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nuts, great for mid morning and mid-afternoon balance. They say more smaller meals keeps better BS balance.

I look for anything that is sugar free to replace habitual foods. Like ice cream.

Obviously staying away from carbs. I noticed that Alfredo pasta sause is lower in carbs than red sauce. It may be a small amount, but it helps.

The previous posts have good ideas too.

Jere

·
Registered
432 Posts
I eat just about everything that has been listed above, but there is one thing I eat a lot of . I'm not sure if everyone would agree with and thats peanutbutter. I take a teaspoon and get me a big old spoon full and a cup of coffee and enjoy.:target::target:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yep, lunch at the office is PB&J (sugar-free jelly) on whole grain bread. Then a sugar-free chocolate pudding. Mid-afternoon, I have a handful of peanuts. Easy to store (car, work, knapsack).

Jere

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I was directed I could have any kind of nuts except peanuts because peanuts are actually listed as a legume rather than a nut. I do however eat natural peanut butter, but do so sparingly. I don't know why but it does affect my bg's. But, then again, everyone is different so if it doesn't bother your bg's, more power to you! I do love peanuts and peanut butter, so to give them up is quite a challenge. Good Luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Renee,
I just read a Perdue University study that stated:

Peanuts Help Control High Cholesterol And Other Common Health Issues:
If you are diabetic, or have high cholesterol or triglycerides, peanuts are an ideal snack. They are rich in niacin (vitamin B3), which has been shown to lower triglycerides, while raising HDL (good) cholesterol. Peanuts are also a good source of resveratrol. Generally associated with red wine, resveratrol is thought to slow or prevent the formation of arterial plaque. While studies have suggested that a glass of red wine a day is good for your heart, it has since been found that peanuts actually contain more resveratrol than wine.

The Health Benefits Of Peanuts - More Evidence:
Researchers at Perdue University conducted a study to determine the effects of peanut consumption on overall diet quality. They found that adding just one ounce of peanuts or peanut butter to your daily diet can significantlyincrease levels of magnesium, folate, fiber, copper, vitamin E, and arginine. They also contain Omega-3 fatty acids, to a lesser degree. All of these are major factors in preventing heart disease.

The Perdue study also suggested that peanuts can act as an appetite suppressant. A quick snack of peanuts or peanut butter was shown to satisfy hunger for up to two and a half hours, compared to twenty to thirty minutes for those snacking on rice cakes

Peanuts And Diabetes:
In addition to being one of the more potent of foods that lower cholesterol, peanuts make a healthy snack for people with type 2 diabetes. Ideally, the sugar in the food you eat should be digested more slowly than the other nutrients. This helps to avoid a severe insulin response, and lowers stress on the pancreas. With a low glycemic index rating, peanuts help to regulate the rate at which your sugar and insulin levels rise after you eat, and smooths out sugar spikes.

I underlined the last bit since it seemed really beneficial. I eat more smaller meals to keep my BGL more level and peanuts even help more. Anyway, I have an appointment with my D-Doc tomorrow and will ask.

Again, thanks
Jere

I was directed I could have any kind of nuts except peanuts because peanuts are actually listed as a legume rather than a nut. I do however eat natural peanut butter, but do so sparingly. I don't know why but it does affect my bg's. But, then again, everyone is different so if it doesn't bother your bg's, more power to you! I do love peanuts and peanut butter, so to give them up is quite a challenge. Good Luck!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I eat just about everything that has been listed above, but there is one thing I eat a lot of . I'm not sure if everyone would agree with and thats peanutbutter. I take a teaspoon and get me a big old spoon full and a cup of coffee and enjoy.:target::target:
I was eating a spoon of peanut butter at lunch and dinner every day. It was my favorite treat. We went on vacation and I didn't have any peanut butter for 7 days.....my BG was perfect. Came home and pulled out the jar again and sugar was staying up. Stopped eating it again and BG is back down-just shows how we all react differently. If it had not been for vacation I would have never realized it. I wonder if there is a sf peanut butter syrup. Vacation ruined my life.lol

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
360 Posts
I eat a lot of almonds. You can have 28 at 5 carbs and it is considered 2 net carbs if you count them that way. I munch on them while I cook dinner so I don't taste something I shouldn't. For a snack I have actually dipped them in Franks Hot Sauce. I also made deviled eggs with horseradish sauce and added pecans. Hubby thought that was wonderful. I know I eat weird.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Humhum, if you like pumpkin pie...Shanny's low carb recipe posted in the recipes section on this forum is absolutely without a doubt fabulous! I made it for the first time yesterday and everyone loved it! I did make the pecan nut crust for it and it was sinfully good! I actually just ate the last piece left from the pie for breakfast this morning! And, after sitting in the fridge overnight being nice and cold was even better! Tasted just like regular pumpkin pies I usually make for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I will for sure be making these for the holiday's this year.
I have the same issue with peanut butter. Sad because like you I would eat right out of the jar. My favorite always was a peanut butter sandwich (no jelly) and a tall glass of cold milk. Sadly can't have either anymore! Have to substitute Almond or Coconut Milk for regular milk and maybe Almond Butter for Peanut Butter. Although I think Almonds send my bg's a little high as well. Oh well. I do the best I can with what works.

·
Registered
741 Posts
ah macadamia nuts....so delicious...very high fat...I forgot I like them...shall get some tomorrow :)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I eat a lot of almonds. You can have 28 at 5 carbs and it is considered 2 net carbs if you count them that way. I munch on them while I cook dinner so I don't taste something I shouldn't. For a snack I have actually dipped them in Franks Hot Sauce. I also made deviled eggs with horseradish sauce and added pecans. Hubby thought that was wonderful. I know I eat weird.
Oh, no you do NOT! You eat great!!!

Try sauteeing almonds in butter and some of that hot sauce, stirring until dry ... om nom nom!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts