The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I started looking at labels in the grocery store while shopping this morning, and I'm in shock.

EVERYTHING seems to have sugar in it. Not joking, everything. (why the heck do salad dressings or mayonnaise need sugar??)

I was specifically looking for a pizza or pasta sauce - every one I looked at had sugar... and lots of it. (btw, are tomatoes bad for us? or is it just the sauces that are used?)

Couldn't find any sugar-free hot chocolate (bummer) just low/reduced-sugar varieties.

My favorite peanuts (dry roasted) contain both potato and corn starches... (why?!?!?!) ... as well as enough sodium to permanently destroy one of the great lakes, it seems...

Even bread contained sugar ... and not just cheap pasty white bread, supposedly healthy 'ancient grain' breads had sugar... One bread even had a "Canadian Diabetes Association" logo on it... and had SUGAR. (When I looked closer, the package said "Proud contributor to the ..." and had the logo...)

If we didn't live in a frozen wasteland I'd use half my backyard for a garden and grow everything myself... the supermarket is now frightening me, lol.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
OK, so I started looking at labels in the grocery store while shopping this morning, and I'm in shock.

EVERYTHING seems to have sugar in it. Not joking, everything. (why the heck do salad dressings or mayonnaise need sugar??)

I was specifically looking for a pizza or pasta sauce - every one I looked at had sugar... and lots of it. (btw, are tomatoes bad for us? or is it just the sauces that are used?)

Couldn't find any sugar-free hot chocolate (bummer) just low/reduced-sugar varieties.

My favorite peanuts (dry roasted) contain both potato and corn starches... (why?!?!?!) ... as well as enough sodium to permanently destroy one of the great lakes, it seems...

Even bread contained sugar ... and not just cheap pasty white bread, supposedly healthy 'ancient grain' breads had sugar... One bread even had a "Canadian Diabetes Association" logo on it... and had SUGAR. (When I looked closer, the package said "Proud contributor to the ..." and had the logo...)

If we didn't live in a frozen wasteland I'd use half my backyard for a garden and grow everything myself... the supermarket is now frightening me, lol.
Yes. I have seen some people say, if it needs a nutrition label, it is overprocessed ...

Keep reading those labels. I have made a few slips by overlooking or assuming something.

Peanuts, by the way ... eat a measured amount and test at 1 and 2 hrs. You may do fine, but I learned they spike me! Even when I DO NOT overeat them. I miss peanuts and peanut butter. Peanuts are a starch-containing legume. Tree nuts work much better, though.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even if you don't find sugar, you're likely to find high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and other derivatives of corn like corn syrup solids.! ...
But the Corn Refiner's Association would have you believe it's both healthy and fine, lol.

Politics indeed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
yep watch those carbs not just the sugar the carbs are ones that give you trouble. FWIW peanuts/almonds work great for me as a snack. how about a pesto sauce? or butter and parm cheese?

I can't find any zero carb cocoa just low carb sorry keep looking

don't forget that fiber can lower the carb count as well (at least that's the theory doesn't always work w/ me but it may for you)

·
Registered
96 Posts
With very few exceptions; I go by the rule-of-thumb:
If it is in a package and requires a label; then I don't eat it.

--ET

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Relative to cocoa: I just keep regular unsweetened baking cocoa on hand, and when somebody wants hot cocoa, I mix the cocoa powder with a coupla spoonfuls of cream, add a dash of salt & a splash of vanilla. When I get it blended smooth, I add more cream (usually diluted with water) and then I sweeten it to taste with liquid sucralose or erythritol. Nuke it, of course . . .

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Also beware of maltodextrin, it is one of those ingredients that spike some of us. My body has gotten used to it. Keep reading labels, you will keep learning more and more and become a better shopper.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I find the trick is don't buy anything that is packaged or processed. Eat raw nuts, real veggies, real fruit. Even my peanut and almond butter only have nuts and salt in them. When I want hot chocolate I use Light Coconut milk or soy milk which is 1 carb and just add dark cocoa and stevia.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Also beware of maltodextrin, it is one of those ingredients that spike some of us. My body has gotten used to it. Keep reading labels, you will keep learning more and more and become a better shopper.
Yes -- maltodextrin is a starchlike substance. Spikes me, for sure. Often Splenda (the kind that measures equivalent to sugar, for baking) and associated generics, add enough to spike me. So do the sugar-free pudding mixes!

I also avoid polyunsaturated fats, in salad dressings and other things. But perhaps that should be considered a LATER refinement?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I find the trick is don't buy anything that is packaged or processed. Eat raw nuts, real veggies, real fruit. Even my peanut and almond butter only have nuts and salt in them. When I want hot chocolate I use Light Coconut milk or soy milk which is 1 carb and just add dark cocoa and stevia.
I wish I could eat everything fresh/raw ... But that would bankrupt me.

Unfortunately, where I live in Canada already has extremely expensive groceries. And this time a year you can spend a small fortune on fresh vegetables.

I did manage to find some almonds that didn't cost too much... ($5 for a 475g container, just over 1 lb.) So I picked up a couple of those and will make my own almond meal as well as having some on-hand for a snack.

Bought some cherries because my wife had a craving... $11 for a bag of cherries. Ouch. Got some 'cheap' strawberries for $4.99 for a lb. A bag of mixed peppers (one red, one yellow, one green) were $5...

It's sad, but frozen fruit/veggies are SO much less-expensive... In fact, I find ribeye or t-bone steak for less than fresh fruit / vegetables quite often...

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Frozen IS good -- really, frozen is almost identical in nutrient value to fresh veg! They have studied that a LOT.

GOOD, on the almonds ... I buy 2 lb bags at my Indian grocery, and chow down almost daily.

There are also some pretty decent cheeses that are not too costly, if you like them. And eggs are very inexpensive as a source of protein.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I wish I could eat everything fresh/raw ... But that would bankrupt me.

Unfortunately, where I live in Canada already has extremely expensive groceries. And this time a year you can spend a small fortune on fresh vegetables.

I did manage to find some almonds that didn't cost too much... ($5 for a 475g container, just over 1 lb.) So I picked up a couple of those and will make my own almond meal as well as having some on-hand for a snack.

Bought some cherries because my wife had a craving... $11 for a bag of cherries. Ouch. Got some 'cheap' strawberries for $4.99 for a lb. A bag of mixed peppers (one red, one yellow, one green) were $5...

It's sad, but frozen fruit/veggies are SO much less-expensive... In fact, I find ribeye or t-bone steak for less than fresh fruit / vegetables quite often...
$11 for a bag of cherries.....super ouch.....Didn't you mention in another post about starting a garden? Time to start thinking about that!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, nothing much really grows here. I have a small apple tree in the yard that gives me a little fruit in-season. Strawberries grow, but the local birds eat most of them. I have some raspberry canes but having trouble taking care of them with my back. Other than that I have some chives.

Potatoes grow well... but they're ... potatoes. Most people that garden where I live start all their plants indoors or in a greenhouse. We just have a really short growing season.

To be honest I can't even take care of my lawn properly myself with my back issues... so I think gardening is pretty-much out. The chives keep growing because they think they're a weed.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Well, nothing much really grows here. I have a small apple tree in the yard that gives me a little fruit in-season. Strawberries grow, but the local birds eat most of them. I have some raspberry canes but having trouble taking care of them with my back. Other than that I have some chives.

Potatoes grow well... but they're ... potatoes. Most people that garden where I live start all their plants indoors or in a greenhouse. We just have a really short growing season.

To be honest I can't even take care of my lawn properly myself with my back issues... so I think gardening is pretty-much out. The chives keep growing because they think they're a weed.
My Dad built a green house, but it is now filled with junk. The green house did provide us with alot of food. Sorry that your back problems keep you from some activities.

·
Registered
165 Posts
steaks are good. lots of protien. low in carbs can have at any meal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts