Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 large avocados, pulp removed from shell & mashed
1/2 large tomato, diced small
1/4 cup minced fresh onion
2 or 3 tablespoons lemon juice
salt to taste
ground red pepper to taste (not cayenne)

Combine ingredients & mix well. Chill before serving.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
mmmm now I am craving guacamole. I like it with chopped fresh cilantro and a chopped serrano pepper (de-seeded) mixed in also :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
What does avocados taste like? Is it sweet? Firm, mushy? What is the carb count? Have not ever had one.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
What does avocados taste like? Is it sweet? Firm, mushy? What is the carb count? Have not ever had one.
I prefer the mexican avocados....they have a mild creamy taste. California avocados are a bit firmer and a little sweeter. 5 oz (no seed, just the fruit) has about 13carbs. 1 cup mashed....about 20grams

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me they were an acquired taste . . . I can remember as a child my parents urging me to try avocado & me thinking there's no taste to this thing - what's all the fuss about?! Then I moved to California in the sixties & got exposed to the whole avocado culture, as it were! ;) The subtle flavor/texture/richness really grew on me! Now I often eat them just like this guy is doing - with just a dash of salt. They're good diabetes food though - high fiber & low carb. They don't budge my BG

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I love them. I split them and pop the seed out..then sprinkle salt and pepper on it and scoop it right out of the skin with a spoon...yummy. When I make guacamole, i scoop out the flesh, mash it...add diced tomato, diced onion, chopped cilantro, a chopped pepper (jalepeno or serrano) and a bit of lemon juice. Soooooo good. I do have to bolus for the carbs, but it is so yummy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oooh thank you. I think I'm going to try those cheese crisps with this. My dietitian said I don't have to count anything <5 carbs so this sounds like a wonderful snack. I just have to make sure I make enough. My family loves guacamole. :D

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have guacamole every morning with breakfast. Mmmmm - avocado, cilantro, jalapeno, some garlic salt, sprinkle with a little fresh lime juice and call it done. May favorite way to start the day!

·
Registered
148 Posts
YUMM! I am craving an avocado now. :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took me two tries to get the cheese crisps (burnt the crap out of them at first) but the guacamole is reeeeeally good with them.
I burnt a few too . . . and it's the cheese sometimes. Provolone makes really tasty crisps, but it browns a lot more or faster or something!

Didja pick up any avocados, Jason? I'm about to have crisps & guac for lunch . . . y'all c'mon over!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes I did. Went through Wal-Mart today, they are hard as rocks and so small! I got 3 of I think the best lol, do they ripen pretty quick? I have them out on the kitchen counter.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They ripen fairly quickly - you could put 'em in a bag to speed things up if you like . . . enclosed in a bag, the naturally-produced ethylene gas won't disperse, and it'll serve to help them ripen quicker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts