The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some diabetic recipes call for guar gum or xanthan gum to thicken gravy and such. I did a search of the forum and found no mention of either product. I read on the web they are made from vegetable fiber and are safe with zero carbs, so since nothing came up in my search I am wondering if anyone on the forum uses either of them, and if not, is there something I should know?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I use guar gum in several of my recipes. I've used it to thicken cheese sauce, gravy, some dessert items. I use it because corn starch does bad things to my BG's.

The only warning I'd give you is start with VERY small amounts, these gums thicken WAAAAAAAY more than does corn starch...

In some cases a pinch may be all you need...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry for the dumb question I am about to ask, but my husband was just diagnosed with diabetes a week and a half ago, so I am still in the learning process. What are BG's?

I added this comment 2 hours later:
Never mind, I think I figured it out... blood glucose. So it WAS a dumb question.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sorry for the dumb question I am about to ask, but my husband was just diagnosed with diabetes a week and a half ago, so I am still in the learning process. What are BG's?

I added this comment 2 hours later:
Never mind, I think I figured it out... blood glucose. So it WAS a dumb question.
Not really a dumb question though, since there are different abbreviations for it. BG, BGL, GL, BS, FBG (fasting blood glucose or FBS/fasting blood sugar) are the main ones, but I'm sure there are others. There are a lotta things we just don't know unless we ask somebody, which is why we keep insisting there ARE no dumb questions & continue telling people to ask everything you want to know. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts