The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined a few days ago saying my husband had just been diagnosed with Type2. We bought a test kit and for the first time this morning I checked my fasting blood sugar... 101. So if I understand the numbers correctly, I guess that means I am diabetic, too.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I joined a few days ago saying my husband had just been diagnosed with Type2. We bought a test kit and for the first time this morning I checked my fasting blood sugar... 101. So if I understand the numbers correctly, I guess that means I am diabetic, too.
HI Raindance,

It could also mean you have a cold, are under stress, that the meter was slightly off, or many other things.

The OGGT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test) or A1c test (which looks at the accumulated glucose over about a 3 month period) are much better indicators.

You can also do your own home test using the methodology mentioned on blood sugar 101, which won't be as accurate as a lab test, but will give some indication. Just be sure if doing the 'home test' to eat the carbohydrate, but not with any fat or protein to slow it's digestion. The surest way would be to use 60g of carb from glucose tabs/gel...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It looks like you could start watching your own intake, that's for sure. And since you already know what works, and are preparing proper meals for him, you'll be able to take care of yourself right along with him. My guess is you can maintain control with diet/exercise at this time, but I hope you'll see your doc & get a formal diagnosis.

Sorry to hear it, but I'm glad you're with us & we'll support you all we can.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello Raindance
When i was diagnosed a fasting BG level from 110 to 124 was considered pre-diabetic and 2 readings of 126 or above was diabetic. The other diagnosis was an A1C of 7 or higher

Today the A1C threshhold is more like 6.5 and I am not sure if the Fasting BG threshold has changed.

The truth is however, diabetic, pre-diabetic or elevated, the right course is to live like you are diabetic, Get regular exercise, watch what you eat, lose a few pounds and keep an Eye on things. better to take care before you have issues than after

Good luck

Don

O

·
0 Posts
hmmmm.... I know here that 101 (5.6) would be considered within normal range. If you were above 7 (126) then I guess you could consider that you may be at risk of having diabetes. The only way to find out for sure is get your doc to do a HbA1c test on you as this is the test they start with to diagnose you in the first place. All diabetics have regular HbA1c tests too to check where they're at with management of BGLs.... we can't just rely on our meters. I'm thinking though that you're probably fine. :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
In the US usally 100-125 is classified pre diabetic. Sometimes if you start to control what you eat you may be able to bring those bgs down pretty quickly. The important bg # is the 2 hour after you eat #, if it is higher than 120, you might want to see your doctor to do a fasting lab and HbA1c test. Usually the fasting bg is the last bg to rise. So many people walk around with low fasting bgs but have very high after meal bgs which could be causing damage.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been eating low carb along with my husband Ed, except yesterday I had half and half in my coffee and regular Ranch on my salad.

Today is the second time I have tested my bs since Ed was diagnosed. My fasting bs was 122 this morning, so as far as I'm concerned, it is confirmed, I've got the dreaded D. I hadn't eaten for over 12 hours, so am wondering if it was a liver dump. I'll not do that again.

No need to go to the doctor, I know it is type2, and I sat in on Ed's doctor and dietician appointments. All they know how to do with diabetics is put them on a high-carb diet.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i am thinking that with your husbands recent diagnosis, that has added stress to YOU, which would lead to higher BGS.

an A1C is going to be your best bet

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called the doctor today and requested an A1c, but I think he plans to do a regular bs test to see if, by their standards, I am a diabetic, but I have been eating like I should the past 2 days, and by Monday when I have my blood test, I'm sure my fasting bs will be under 100, so I'll have to try & talk him into doing an A1c anyway. Only reason I decided to go to the doc is so my insurance will pay for my strips, but if he won't listen to me, I'll have to pay for them myself, no choice. Not going to switch doctors.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
your doctor is a fool if he doesnt order an A1C test

O

·
0 Posts
just insist on the HbA1c test as it gives past 60 day average of your BGLs. (I think in US your labs say 3 months?.... here it's 60 days). My aunt was concerned recently about whether or not she's diabetic (as it's the ladies in our family that gets it and not the men).... she insisted on getting HbA1c as I told her to do this. Although she says she didn't get an answer about the result... so I advised that she goes and insists on getting another one and this time ask for copy of results. She's in her 50's you see and obviously prone to the onset type 2. She's really thin and eats extremely healthy... but claims she's not feeling right and always thirsty. Docs have to listen and just be as assertive as you can to give yourself peace of mind.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the results of my A1c test today. It was 6.0 The doctor said I am not diabetic, but on the fringe of becoming one. Said cut down on sweets, exercise and drop some weight, all of which I have already started doing.

I know some of you are very knowledgable about A1c numbers, so I value your opinions. Do you agree that 6.0 is not diabetic?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Got the results of my A1c test today. It was 6.0 The doctor said I am not diabetic, but on the fringe of becoming one. Said cut down on sweets, exercise and drop some weight, all of which I have already started doing.

I know some of you are very knowledgable about A1c numbers, so I value your opinions. Do you agree that 6.0 is not diabetic?
I finally just got mine DOWN to 6.0, which converts to an average blood sugar of 126 or thereabouts using the formula 28.7 X A1C – 46.7 = eAG

I wouldn't go so far as to call it non-diabetic . . .

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
6.0 is what we call Pre Diabetes. But many of us think it is like being pregnant, you are or you aren't. A normal well functioning pancreas will prevent your bgs from going too high keeping HbA1c in a 4.0-5.5 range all the time, even when eating high carb. So I would say you are definitely in a diabetic range. If I were you I would try to keep bgs as close to 100 as possible by diet an exercise. If you notice bgs creeping up, go back to doctor for medication. Also every 6 months or so you might want to run a home HbA1c kit.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I were you I would try to keep bgs as close to 100 as possible by diet and exercise. If you notice bgs creeping up, go back to doctor for medication.
I know it is best to keep bg at 100 or less, but as long as you stay under 140, there will be virtually no damage to the body. Am I understanding that correctly?

O

·
0 Posts
I know it is best to keep bg at 100 or less, but as long as you stay under 140, there will be virtually no damage to the body. Am I understanding that correctly?
well here my endo advises it's <7% where no complications occur. It seems everyone has different opinions. I've yet to get perfect BGLs.... one frustration I have with diabetes is not everything is in your control all the time. You start feeling like a yo-yo really. And I try very hard to not let it stress me out as that just makes things worse.... I've enough on my plate. Oh yeah, and I had a stress moment yesterday and boy did my BGLs sky rocket (up to 12) without eating. I wonder if it's related to BP sometimes as I notice if BP goes up, so does BGLs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts